The Optometric Health Technician is a member of the specialty team and provides assistance to the optometrist and other team members in the specialty clinic. An ophthalmic technologist, licensed optician or equivalent will assist in caring for the optometry patient. This will include diagnostic support, spectacle repairs, and clerical/administrative duties under the general supervision of the optometrist.Learn more about this agency
- Obtains a patient's physical history and capable of taking vitals, if necessary.
- Collects spectacle data using a manual or automated lensometer, whether single vision, progressive add, bifocal or trifocal; whether glass or plastic lenses; amount and base direction of prism power read for all physicians.
- Obtains corrected and uncorrected Snellen visual acuity or acuity with low vision specialized charts before they are seen by the optometrist and accurately record results in electronic health record (CPRS).
- Performs preliminary refraction duties by inputting habitual prescription into the phoroptor.
- Measures and record pupil assessment, ocular motility, and confrontation visual fields.
- Measures and record intraocular (eye) pressure by contact Goldmann tonometry, Perkins, Tonopen, or NCT.
- Performs visual fields with any technologically current perimetry equipment, e.g. Humphrey, Matrix FDT or Goldmann perimeter.
- Performs automated autorefractometry and corneal keratometry. Perform automated refraction on patient's presenting without glasses and accurately record in electronic health record (CPRS).
- Operates all diagnostic machines within the clinic.
- Measures color vision using pseudo isochromatic plates or other Amsler grid testing to evaluate each eye separately for distortion, metamorphopsia, micropsia and scotomas.
- Obtains photographs with Digital Fundus Camera. Sets up and executes photographs, reviews photographs and advises optometrist of unusual features of pathology that may affect diagnosis.
- Performs simple repairs on spectacles. Perform adjustments on spectacles for patient comfort including temple, nose-pad and pantoscopic tilt adjustments.
- Prepares and maintains the examination room. Positions patients in examination room. Is available to assist the optometrist as needed in aligning the patient for procedures or keeping the patient in appropriate positions for delicate procedures. Inventories, replaces and orders all medications, equipment, supplies and forms needed in accordance with VA and JCAHPO requirements.
- Prepares and cleans RME for entire clinic.
Telework: Not Available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Health Technician (Optometry)~/6254-A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/527267100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.