View the Common Definitions of terms in this announcement.Learn more about this agency
Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions.
As an Attorney Adviser (Investigative Counsel) in the Special Reviews Group (SRG) at the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Office of Inspector General (OIG), Office of Special Reviews and Evaluations, you will conduct sensitive, impactful, and high-profile reviews of DHS programs and personnel, including in the areas of immigration, border and transportation security, disaster response, civil liberties, ethics, and personnel law. Examples of recent published SRG work include:
- Observations regarding separation of families under the Zero Tolerance Policy
- Determining why FEMA paid employees over the federal premium pay cap
- A review of government aircraft usage by DHS senior officials
- A determination that TSA senior officials interfered in the disciplinary process of another senior employee
- Planning, leading, and conducting complex reviews into possible violations of laws, rules and regulations, mismanagement, fraud, waste, abuse, or inefficiencies throughout DHS. The Investigative Counsel is responsible for all aspects of the review, including conducting interviews, requesting documents and data, developing a factual record, and applying that record to applicable laws and policies.
- Drafting reports of investigation or other documents memorializing the results of the review and as applicable, recommending corrective actions.
- Identifying new issues to review through outreach with other OIG offices, research, and creative brainstorming
- Researching statutes, cases, regulations, and executive and legislative materials in order to provide legal and policy advice on issues relating to special reviews and other critical SRG activities.
- Developing and presenting oral briefings to DHS and OIG leadership or Congressional stakeholders
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/527252100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.