The purpose of the position is to perform a wide range of work involving installing and recognizing the cause of faulty refrigeration and air conditioning equipment and making repairs on large systems that provide for a variety of air conditioning functions such as heating, cooling, humidifying, dehumidifying, cleaning, filtering, and circulating.Learn more about this agency
ResponsibilitiesSome duties may include:
Promotion Potential: The selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.
- Current Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approved Universal Certification. This is in accordance with Section 608 of the Clean Air Act. (NOTE: You will be required to provide a copy of the certification if referred for interview.)
- Utilizes CPC's and HCFC's refrigerant recovery/recycling equipment and alarm systems, maintains records and performs all service and maintenance repairs in accordance with VA and EPA regulations.
- Calculates airflow, air exchanges and the pressure-temperature characteristics for different systems. Performs air balancing of rooms based on required specifications.
- Performs repair work on refrigerators/refrigeration equipment for the preservation of food, medical supplies, etc. requiring the use of testing equipment for the repair.
- Dismantles, repairs and reassembles units such as pumps, impellers, compressors, chillers, receivers and evaporators.
- Knowledge of complicated motor controls; pressure controls; thermostatic motor controls (remote and double remote); full and semi-automatic defrosting controls; relays and other controls to protect against overload or overheating.
- Knowledge of a variety of compressors such as gear, reciprocating, centrifugal and rotary pump.
- Knowledge and ability to install or replace pipes and ducts where the areas to be conditioned are a considerable distance from compressors.
- Independently plans testing procedures, determines the proper kind and type of parts and equipment needed, installs and repairs a variety of systems, and makes frequent and difficult determinations concerning the location of faulty equipment and the kind and type of supplies and repairs needed to repair and balance complex systems.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 7:00 am - 3:30 pm
Position Description Title/PD#:
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorized
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/526946600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.