If not already a member of the Senior Executive Services (SES) serving under a career appointment, the individual selected must have his/her executive qualifications certified by a Qualifications Review Board of the Office of Personnel Management before appointment to this position, and will be required to serve a one-year probationary period in this position. The actual salary will be set by determining the appropriate SES level for the person selected.Learn more about this agency
Under the general direction of the Deputy Associate Director for National Security Division, the incumbent serves as a Branch Chief in OMB.
The Chief, Defense Operations, Personnel and Support Branch manages a branch of professional and support staff engaged in ongoing review and analysis of assigned programs to allocate budget resources, ascertain program effectiveness, stimulate program and management improvements, and review and assist in the development of budgetary, legislative, and management proposals. Specifically, the incumbent:
- Advises the Deputy Associate Director and senior OMB leadership. Coordinates Branch oversight for assigned departments, agencies and governmental activities. Identifies policy issues and problems that require attention and recommends options for resolution, including suggesting the outline, scope, and schedule of studies and other special projects.
- Coordinates the reviews of the budgets for the departments and agencies assigned. Advises on the formulation of budget and policy, and ensures that policy is followed by agencies. Manages the Branch's review of assigned apportionments.
- Performs and supervises legislative, economic, management, and organizational analyses for assigned program areas. Works with OMB leadership and OMB's Legislative Reference Division on the formulation and approval of legislation.
- Oversees the Branch's support to OMB and White House Policy officials including preparation for National Security Council-led and other interagency meetings. Supervises the Branch's participation in staff-level interagency policy making processes.
- Coordinates the preparation of or reviews and advises on preparation of formal documents relative to assigned departments or governmental activities, such as Budget and State of the Union messages, special messages, veto messages, and executive orders. Reviews and at times prepares letters from the President or the Director to agency heads.
- Supervises a highly competent staff of budget and program analysts. Plans work operations, directs the flow of work, sets priorities and prepares schedules for completion of work; assigns work to subordinates and evaluates performance, gives counsel, advice and instruction to individual employees on both work and administrative matters.
- Provides assistance and advice on other aspects of the administration of the division as required.
- As required, works with congressional committee staffs on budgetary, policy, and program matters.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/526852800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.