WHAT IS THE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DIVISION: The mission of the IRS Information Technology is to provide leadership in the delivery of information technology solutions that anticipate and meet enterprise-wide needs by empowering employees to deliver customer-centered, value-creating systems, products, services, and support.
See Other Information for Locations
WHAT DOES AN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST (UNISYS OPERATING SYSTEM) DO? An Information Technology (IT) Specialist (Unisys Operating System) uses their expertise to resolve exceptionally complex and broad IRS IT problems or projects and critical issues. In this role, you may be called upon to lead major local projects or substantial national level projects such as the application and adaptation of new and improved approaches the planning, installation, configuration, testing, implementation, and management of the Unisys operating systems environment in support of IRS's IT architecture and business needs. You will often find yourself involved in diagnosing and resolving some of the most complex Unisys operating systems problems and issues. As an IT Specialist, you will work with multi-year plans, new cutting-edge technologies or issues, and develop new policies and/or make significant changes to existing policies.
As an Information Technology (IT) Specialist (Unisys Operating System) you will:
- Ensure the integration of IT programs and services; develop solutions to integration/interoperability issues; design and manage IT operating systems that meet business requirements, and apply the existing architecture.
- Manage assigned projects; communicate complex technical requirements; and present briefings on complex issues.
- Develop policies, procedures, and strategies that ensure optimization and integration in the installation, configuration, and maintenance of the Unisys operating system environment.
- Provide authoritative advice, to other specialists and develop and implement agency guidelines.
- Lead a major IRS-wide operating systems project, (e.g., installation of Unisys operating systems environments, upgrades, consult with developers or vendors in defining requirements and identifying integration issues; oversee installation, customization, testing, and implementation of the operating environment; and work with vendor software engineers to correct problems and enhance performance).
- Evaluate the impact of new and proposed applications; and recommend changes to ensure the functionality and stability of the operating environment.
If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov.
Occasional travel - 1-5 nights per month may be required
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/526832900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.