JOB DESCRIPTION: R&D Scientists apply the scientific method in one or more disciplines (e.g., Photogrammetry, Geodesy, Computer Science, Mathematics, Image Science, Human Terrain Analysis) to advance Geospatial Science and enhance Agency tradecraft. They conduct and develop novel scientific research projects and facilitate interdisciplinary collaboration to further scientific inquiry and application. They providLearn more about this agency
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: NGA Research is seeking applicants for the Geophysics Pod. The Geophysics Pod employs physics and mathematics to improve knowledge of the spatiotemporal physical and geometric characteristics of the Earth's surface, sub-surface, and its surrounding space environment.
25% or less - Travel Required 25% or Less
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- US Citizenship is required.
- Designated or Random Drug Testing required.
- Security Investigation
As a condition of employment at NGA, persons being considered for employment must meet NGA fitness for employment standards.
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Security Clearance (Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information)
- Polygraph Test Required
- Position Subject to Drug Testing
- Two Year Probationary Period
- Direct Deposit Required
You must be able to obtain and retain a Top Secret security clearance with access to Sensitive Compartmented Information. In addition, you are subject to a Counterintelligence Polygraph examination in order to maintain access to Top Secret information. All employees are subject to a periodic examination on a random basis in order to determine continued eligibility. Refusal to take the examination may result in denial of access to Top Secret information, SAP, and/or unescorted access to SCIFs.
Employees with SCI access and who are under NGA cognizance are required to submit a Security Financial Disclosure Report, SF-714, on an annual basis in order to determine continued eligibility. Failure to comply may negatively impact continued access to Top Secret information, Information Systems, SAP, and/or unescorted access to SCIFs.
NGA utilizes all processes and procedures of the Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). Non-executive NGA employees are assigned to five distinct pay bands based on the type and scope of work performed. The employee's base salary is established within their assigned pay band based on their unique qualifications. A performance pay process is conducted each year to determine a potential base pay salary increase and/or bonus. An employee's annual performance evaluation is a key factor in the performance pay process. Employees on term or temporary appointments are not eligible to apply for internal assignment opportunity notices.
This position is a DCIPS position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1601. DoD Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans' Preference to preference eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 USC, in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are an external applicant claiming veterans' preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you must self-identify your eligibility in our ERecruit application.
MANDATORY QUALIFICATION CRITERIA: For this particular job, applicants must meet all competencies reflected under the Mandatory Qualification Criteria to include education (if required). Online resumes must demonstrate qualification by providing specific examples and associated results, in response to the announcement's mandatory criteria specified in this vacancy announcement:
1. Experience in the programmatics aspect of the R&D process, such as new concept and program development, source selection, reviewing technical cost proposals, and technology transition. 2. Demonstrated experience in plasmonics, nanophotonics, metamaterials, metasurfaces, nonlinear optics, coherent sources, and/or hyperspectral imaging systems. 3. Experience in technical requirements development and technical design. 4. Experience with the research and development cycle such as information gathering, data analysis, verification and validation, services and applications, and measurement concepts and principles. 5. Experience applying quality assurance techniques on work products/processes. EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: A. Education: Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Mathematics, Physical Science, or a related discipline that includes 24 semester (36 quarter) hours in Science, Mathematics and/or a related Engineering Science. Such coursework includes, but is not limited to, Astronomy, Cartography, Chemistry, Computer Science, Dynamics, Electrical Engineering, Geodesy, Geography, Geology, Geophysics, Geospatial Information Systems, Mathematics, Orbital Mechanics, Photogrammetry, Physics, Remote Sensing, or Surveying. Although not mandatory, coursework in differential and integral calculus is preferred. -OR- B. Combination of Education and Experience: A minimum of 24 semester (36 quarter) hours of college education in any areas listed in option A plus experience that demonstrates the ability to successfully perform the duties associated with this work. As a rule, every 30 semester (45 quarter) hours of college work is equivalent to one year of experience. Candidates should show that their combination of education and experience totals to 4 years.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATION CRITERIA: In addition to the mandatory qualifications, experience in the following is desired: 1. Ph.D. degree desired, but a minimum of a Master's degree in electrical engineering, computer science, physics, applied mathematics, remote sensing, or related field. 2. Knowledge of NGA, its multidisciplinary tradecraft, mission, organizations, and partners and knowledge of the organizations, processes, programs, and policies of the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and the Intelligence Community (IC). 3. Demonstrated knowledge and background in Research and Development policies, structure, and interrelationships of the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD), the Intelligence Community, and other Federal Agencies, as well as Academia and Industry. 4. Writing technical articles accepted by peer-reviewed scientific journals or M.S./PhD thesis/dissertation committees is also desired. 5. Knowledge of organizational representation and strategic planning. 6. Experience briefing scientific/technical results.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applicants are not required to submit a cover letter. The entire cover letter cannot exceed the specified limits provided in the Cover Letter field (3,000 characters). Pages exceeding this limit will not be considered. THE COVER LETTER IS RECOMMENDED BUT IS NOT REQUIRED FOR EMPLOYMENT CONSIDERATION WITH THE NATIONAL GEOSPATIAL-INTELLIGENCE AGENCY.
APPLICANT EVALUATION PROCESS: Applicants will be evaluated for this job opportunity in three stages:
1) All applicants will be evaluated using the Mandatory Qualification Criteria,
2) Qualified applicants will then be evaluated by an expert or panel of experts using a combination of qualification criteria to determine the best-qualified candidates,
3) Best-qualified applicants may then be further evaluated through an interview process.
Applicants are encouraged to carefully review the Assignment Description, Additional Information Provided By the Selecting Official, and the Qualification Requirements; and then construct their resumes to highlight their most relevant and significant experience and education for this job opportunity. This description should include examples that detail the level and complexity of the performed work. Applicants are encouraged to provide any education information referenced in the announcement. If education is listed as a mandatory requirement, only degrees obtained from an institution accredited by an accrediting organization recognized by the Secretary, US Department of Education will be accepted.
As a condition of employment at NGA, persons being considered for employment must meet NGA fitness for employment standards.
In accordance with section 9902(h) of title 5, United States Code, annuitants reemployed in the Department of Defense shall receive full annuity and salary upon appointment. They shall not be eligible for retirement contributions, participation in the Thrift Savings Plan, or a supplemental or redetermined annuity for the reemployment period. Discontinued service retirement annuitants (i.e., retired under section 8336(d)(1) or 8414(b)(1)(A) of title 5, United States Code) appointed to the Department of Defense may elect to be subject to retirement provisions of the new appointment as appropriate. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives.)
All candidates will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation.
NGA provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applications will only be accepted online. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify us at email@example.com. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
How to Apply
Application submission involves applying using NGA's on-line application process. Application Instructions can be found by visiting: http://www.intelligencecareers.gov/NGA
All announcements close at 11:59PM EDT on the closing date listed. Be sure to complete and submit your application by that time in order to be considered.
ONLY ELECTRONIC SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Agency contact information
AddressNATIONAL GEOSPATIAL-INTELLIGENCE AGENCY
7500 GEOINT Drive
Springfield, VA 22150
After visiting https://www.nga.mil/Careers and applying via NGA's on-line application process, applicants can follow their status via that same NGA on-line application functionality. Several other topics relating to what is involved in the hiring process and how long it takes can be found by visiting http://www.intelligencecareers.gov/NGA and choosing Frequently Asked Questions.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/526752400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.