The Public Affairs Specialist position is located at the Washington DC VA Medical Center (DCVAMC), in the Office of Public Affairs & Community Relations.Learn more about this agency
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday; 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Telework: Not Available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Public Affairs Specialist # 51050/51051
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
DCVAMC's community relations, marketing & public affairs program communicates the health care system mission, services, & activities to Veterans, staff, volunteers, members of the media, local, state & federal officials, veteran service organizations, community groups & the general public. A critical component of the public affairs program is to ensure the quality of our facility internet, intranet & social media communities. The Public Affairs Specialist is a critical team member of the public affairs program responsible for maintaining & enhancing the organization's communications goals. This position reports to the Public Affairs Director in charge of new media. The duties include but are not limited to:
- Directly responsible for preparing, editing, auditing, & monitoring timely web content & marketing messaging to stakeholders.
- Writes internal messaging, speeches, press releases, newsletters & other products for distribution & communication.
- Coordinates, develops, designs, implements, maintains & promotes the facility's internal newsletter, websites & social media communities.
- Orients new web authors, content contributors, contractors, & vendors to VA web policies.
- Participates in VHA Webmaster/Web Content groups monthly.
- Establishes & maintains communication with local media outlets, service organizations & elected officials for marketing & community relations outreach.
- Helps organize, participates in, collaborates with, & as appropriate, leads editorial committees & groups developed to help plan facility web & internal communications content.
- Creates comprehensive social media & internal marketing strategies to define programs that use social media marketing techniques to increase visibility, stakeholder traffic & employee engagement.
- Reviews & edits facility publications for print as well as review websites & social media communities to identify broken links and/or missing images, assess usability of pages & currency content.
- Ensures materials posted to facility websites are 508 compliant & compliant with VA Policy.
- Tracks & analyzes site & social media usage trends using a variety of tools & adjusts content accordingly.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/526704000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.