Organizational Location: This position is with the Department of Homeland Security, within U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Office of Chief Counsel, located in Artesia, New Mexico.Learn more about this agency
This position starts at a salary of $61,218.00 (GS-11, Step 1) to $134,038.00 (GS-14, Step 10) with promotion potential to $134,038(GS-14, Step 10).
In this position, you will become a key member of the legal team for The Office of The Chief Counsel. Typical work assignments include:
- Providing legal training and the full range of client legal services to United States Customs and Border Protection at the United States Border Patrol Academy in Artesia, NM, as well as in a variety of field locations in the areas of Constitutional, criminal, customs, and immigration law and enforcement issues;
- Assisting in drafting, editing, and revising training manuals, and other publications used to teach agency law enforcement personnel, as well as performing legal research into the laws, regulations, decisions, and other precedents bearing on the legal issues involving CBP, including Constitutional, criminal, customs, and immigration enforcement and operations issues;
- Providing ethics advice; representing CBP in various third-party administrative hearings on matters such as employee discipline and adverse actions; preparing litigation reports, affidavits, and other documents to assist the Department of Justice in civil actions involving CBP;
- Conducting legal research, and producing written and oral legal advice in support of agency operations as part of the Office of Associate Chief Counsel (Enforcement and Operations);
- Formulating decisions and judgments with reference to resolving claims for and against the government arising out of operations of CBP.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/526589100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.