The Science & Exploration Directorate, Solar System Exploration Division, Astrochemistry Laboratory (Code 691) is seeking a scientist to study the origin, composition, structure and evolution of the bodies of the solar system, including planets and their satellites, the Earth and Moon, Venus, and also exoplanets.Learn more about this agency
As identical vacancies are identified, additional selections may be made.
- As a Research Space Scientist, specializing in Planetary Studies, you will provide research, but are not limited to, empirical and theoretical investigations in kinetics, geochemistry, Venus geology/mineralogy, and exoplanets.
- You will apply scientific methods, including exploring and defining problems, planning the approach for study, analyzing data, interpreting results, and documenting or reporting findings.
- You will plan and conduct experimental studies in disciplines such as solid/gas chemical kinetics, spectroscopy and material science resulting in new design guidelines, and have an effect on program or mission capability and operating procedures.
- You will perform experiments related to solar system or exoplanet atmospheres and surfaces related to interpretation of spectra or characterization of compounds and processes of geochemical and atmospheric interest.
- You will document and report study results to management and contractors.
- You will design or direct the development of unique or leading-edge experimental systems to meet specific scientific or mission requirements relating to these objects.
- You will consult with management and planning personnel in preparing requirements and criteria for complex or high value physics projects or investigations involving solid-gas or gas-gas interactions.
- You will provide guidance and technical advice to other scientists and program specialists in the chemical and physical effects of high-temperature gas and geochemical environments.
- You will perform a key role in resolving issues that significantly affect both research and flight programs.
Occasional travel - Travel may be required for training or other work-related duties
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/526481000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.