The Material Scientist is a position in the Associate Director, Product Design and Development Directorate, Office of Product Development, Materials Contracts Division. The mission of the Materials Contracts Division is to provide materials technical support, develop materials used to manufacture U.S. Currency and other Bureau products, and support the Quality Management System to maintain product quality meeting customer expectations at the lowest possible cost to the customer.Learn more about this agency
The following are the duties of this position at the GS-13. If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
As a Physical Scientist/Chemist (Senior Material Scientist) you will:
- Initiate, lead, plan, conduct, monitor, assess and evaluate investigations and studies to validate material compliance to specifications and requirements, to identify the material key characteristics or properties, establish technical requirements and specifications, and identify and resolve critical, complex, or novel material performance or quality issues related to the production, quality, durability, and security of U.S Currency and other BEP security products.
- Define research methodology and formulates analytical models for material behavior and performance, including development of testing and verification methods.
- Initiate, design, and conduct studies and tests to improve the quality, effectiveness and performance of materials used in the manufacture of US Currency and other BEP security products.
- Conduct practical trials of potential new or modified materials, following established Change Control protocols and makes presentations of their work to internal and external stakeholders, including Executive.
- May serve as Alternate/Subordinate Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR) for raw materials and services related to raw materials manufacture and inspection.
Occasional travel - 1 to 5 nights per month.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/526238400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.