*PLEASE READ PRIOR TO APPLYING TO THIS POSITION* When applying for this position, please consider each location before selecting. If you are selected for a position, which requires relocation, you are responsible to relocate at your own expense and report on the start date.
Eligible applicants who apply by 3/11/2019 will be considered first. If vacancies exist, applicants that apply after 3/11/19 will be considered for the following cutoffs 7/2/19, 9/30/19, 12/30/19.Learn more about this agency
The Small Business/Self-Employed (SB/SE) Division provides examinations and taxpayer education services for about 7 million small businesses and upwards of 33 million self-employed and supplemental income taxpayers.
WHAT DOES A TAX SPECIALIST (TCO) DO? As a Tax Specialist (TCO) you are responsible for planning, scheduling, and conducting independent Face-to-Face Examinations and related investigations of individual and/or business taxpayers. During these examinations that Tax Compliance Officer determines and advises on Federal tax liability as well as conducts an analysis of the taxpayer's financial condition and related operations. These examinations may include individual non-business with wages and investment income, sole proprietors, individuals with business and other supplemental income. In this position, you will also provide tax law and tax-related accounting educational assistance to both internal and external customers.
As a Tax Compliance Officer you will:
- Plan and conduct examinations and related investigations of a variety of individual and/or business taxpayers.
- Review examinations and related investigations of a variety of individual and business taxpayers involving complex tax issues and accounting records.
- Advise taxpayers of their rights as defined in the examination and appeal guidelines, the actual examination procedures, and an explanation of current tax and reporting responsibilities and the importance and benefit of meeting future responsibilities.
- Research taxpayer accounts and determine whether penalty and interest determinations are in compliance with statutory provisions, procedural and policy requirements.
- Maintain a comprehensive knowledge and proficiency in performing complex interest calculations using a variety of computational software.
- Recognize indicators of fraudulent activity and develops appropriate referrals.
- Train and provide guidance to taxpayers, practitioners, and volunteers on technical tax law and accounting policies, practices, and principles as it relates to pertinent tax law modifications through seminars, speeches, or workshops.
If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel - Travel locally and/or overnight 1 to 5 days per month possible.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/525480100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.