***** If you ARE a current US Department of Veterans Affairs employee, you should apply to announcement JT-10430714-19-CAF-BU*****Learn more about this agency
The Blind Rehabilitation Outpatient Specialist will function as part of the Visual Impairment Services team within the Sensory and Physical Rehabilitation Service Line. The primary purpose of the position is to manage and provide direct blind and vision rehabilitation training services to visually impaired Veterans.
- Approximately 50% of the patient care will take place in the patient's home environment.
- The incumbent identifies, assesses trains manages and provides follow-up for Veterans using clinical resources of the facility.
- The five skill areas addressed by BROS are orientation and mobility, low vision therapy, vision rehabilitation therapy, computer assisted training and manual skills training. Strong emphasis on the ability to provide low vision therapy, access technology assessments and troubleshooting, orientation and mobility training, and vision rehabilitation therapy.
- The Blind Rehabilitation Outpatient Specialist provides direct patient care and support services to an adult population of patients which is characterized by a very significant number of older male patients as well as young OEF/OIF Veterans who may have wound and trauma related vision loss. The employee must tailor patient care and support services to meet the needs of the individual patient.
- The incumbent, in concert with the VIST and other facility resources, is responsible for identifying beneficiaries who have the potential to benefit from blind and vision rehabilitation training.
- The incumbent is responsible for blind and vision rehabilitation assessment, planning, training, and outcomes evaluation on each Veteran for whom service is provided.
- In order to maximize Veteran's rehabilitation potential, the incumbent makes use of a wide variety complex training aids and devices.
- The incumbent functions as an independent provider of blind and vision rehabilitation services.
- The incumbent provides care management for both VA and non-VA outpatient blind and vision rehabilitation activities.
- The incumbent provides effective patient counseling in the adjustment to blindness as an integral component of the work.
- The incumbent is aligned organizationally under Sensory and Physical Rehabilitation who provides general supervision. The BRS National Consultant provides administrative direction in the form of overall program objectives and broadly defined missions and monitors the BROS program outcomes and caseload.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/525364700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.