The position is located at a Department of Veterans Affairs VHA Medical Center at New York Harbor, and serves as a Adaptive Yoga Specialist working to implement the objectives of the Integrative Health Coordinating Center and the VHA Office of Patient-Centered Care and Cultural Transformation. The position is responsible for providing yoga instruction for the purpose of promoting, restoring, and preserving health and well-being of Veterans.Learn more about this agency
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares and sets up yoga setting and equipment to support scheduled events and activities.
- Instructs Veterans on the safe use of yoga equipment; provides transportation for off station recreational outings; ensures the safety of patients during all activities on and off station; uses good judgment and tact when confronted with problems arising between people in the community and any Veteran.
- Cultivates a cooperative interrelationship between patients, family members, and VA medical center staff.
- Conducts well-being classes, either group or individual, for the purpose of promoting, preserving, or restoring health and well-being.
- Provides informal input to the supervisor concerning pertinent topics to meet facility or patient needs.
- Coordinates with other staff members concerning the use of the yoga facilities for activities and develops and maintains a calendar of programs and activities.
- Develops marketing requests and advertising efforts for special events to encourage participation in yoga programs. Recommends additions, deletions, or changes to facility rules and operating procedures.
- Combines physical postures, breathing techniques, and meditation or relaxation appropriate for the level of the class.
- Provides accurate instruction in the areas of Yoga such as various levels of stretching and relaxation.
- Takes actions consistent with the objectives of the yoga program.
- Reviews and recommends changes concerning the effectiveness of ongoing recreational programs from the standpoint of participant response, resources, unforeseen developments, and program objectives.
- Works independently when addressing a variety of yoga related administrative problems or situations.
- Conducts regular inventories of equipment and supplies.
- Turns in items and completes necessary documentation to maintain accountability.
- Conducts regular inspections of equipment and initiates and tracks work orders to repair equipment.
- Compiles, prepares, and submits records, reports and requests concerning participation, material and equipment purchases, and inventories.
- Ensures that all supply and equipment requirements are identified/justified and requested through proper channels.
- Complies with established internal controls to ensure efficient and effective use of financial resources.
- Serves as a consultant to leadership on issues surrounding yoga.
- Leads yoga classes for well-being and maintenance of health.
Work Schedule: Varies
Compressed/Flexible: Not Available
Telework: Not Available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Adaptive Yoga Specialist
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/525169100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.