See Other Information for LocationsLearn more about this agency
WHAT DOES AN EXAMINATION FINANCIAL TECHNICIAN DO? As an Examination Financial Technician you will examine income tax returns covering a wide variety of tax liability issues through correspondence and telephone contact with the taxpayer. The work covers a wide range of programs involving current and prior year tax rules, regulations, and procedures. Cases worked are primarily Individual Master File (IMF), however, due to the wide range of programs and issues involved you may also work Business Master File (BMF) issues as well.
As a Examination Financial Technician you will:
- Perform case analysis on pre-classified returns and unresolved responses; classify returns with high correspondence examination potential or complex issues.
- Examine programs and tax law changes; research using IDRS and AIMS generated material; inform recurring procedural problems and suggests new methods.
- Contact taxpayers to obtain information, explain liability, and encourage compliance; protect confidentiality of taxpayer information within the confines of disclosure laws, rules, and regulations.
- Reconstruct transactions and identify prior processing errors to determine whether to assess or waive tax liability; compute gross income and make appropriate adjustments.
- Process cases that may involve restricted interest and multiple year adjustments; recognize indications of suspect tax return preparers, tax protesters and indications of fraud.
- Initiate handling notices to provide instructions for the full range of corrections to taxpayer accounts; provide telephone assistance to the public in answering technical questions on specific cases.
- Recognize correspondence that meets congressional or PRP criteria, and ensure expedited handling.
- Protect government's interest regarding imminent statute expiration cases.
If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at http://www.jobs.irs.gov/
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/524997300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.