Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.Learn more about this agency
The primary purpose of this position is to operate engineering and construction equipment and perform functions as cutting, moving, digging, grading, and rolling earth, sand, stone, and other materials, construct, maintain, and repair rigid and flexible pavements, roads, and runways.
- Operates one or more types of heavy equipment to push, pull, pile, or load materials, such as sand, gravel, earth, coal, moving and covering refuse, and clearing brush, rocks, tree stumps, and other material.
- Maintains, repairs, and constructs flexible roads, pavements, parking areas, airdromes, bike paths, or similar surfaces of asphalt.
- Maintains, repairs, and constructs rigid pavements or similar cement and concrete surfaces.
- Utilizes safety practices and procedures following established safety rules and regulations and maintains a safe and clean work environment.
- Uses and maintains tools and equipment.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required.
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov.
- This position is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program.
- Position may be subject to random drug testing.
- Disclosure of Political Appointments.
- Emergency overtime may be required.
- The work may require the employee to drive a motor vehicle. An appropriate, valid driver's license may be required for the position. Class B Commercial Drivers License (CDL) is required.
- Shift work may be required.
- The employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
- May be required to train and/or guide lower grade employees.
- This is a "Key" position. It cannot be vacated during national emergency or mobilization without seriously impairing the capability of the organization to function effectively. Unless an alternate can be designated to perform the duties of (cont)
- (cont) this position during wartime, the incumbent of the "Key" position must be screened from military recall status.
QualificationsQUALIFICATIONS: Applicants will be rated in accordance with the OPM Qualification Standard Handbook X-118C for the WG-5700 Transportation/ Mobile Equipment Operation Family. Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most blue-collar positions, you must meet any screen-out element listed, and show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which you are applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on the quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.
The screen out element for this position is the ability to do the work of an Engineering Equipment Operator (Road Constr Wrkr) without more than normal supervision.
JOB ELEMENTS: Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
- Knowledge of engineering equipment, such as graders, tractors with bulldozer or angle dozer blades, front-end loaders, backhoes, and trench diggers.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques of subsurface preparation and constructing and repairing asphalt and cement surfaces.
- Knowledge of the different sets of controls or operation of the equipment and attachments and skill in manipulating the controls to adjust spreaders, sprayers, post hole diggers, backhoes, moveable dozer blades, and front-end loading devices.
- Knowledge of safety regulations, practices, and procedures.
- Skill in applying and leveling gravel, crushed stone, sand, or other aggregates to the proper thickness for the subsurface and in applying sealer.
- Skill in shaping curbs and drainage ditches and in curing asphalt with sealer.
- Ability to use and maintain power tools, hand tools, and related equipment.
- Ability to read and interpret instructions, blueprints, drawings, and sketches.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Physical Effort: Heavy physical effort is used by the operator in constantly reaching, bending, turning, and moving hands, arms, feet, and legs to handle different sets of controls to operate the equipment and attachments. Considerable strain is caused by the constant vibration of the equipment and the jerking and jolting from operating over rough surfaces. Frequently required to work in awkward or strained positions. The employee frequently lifts, carries, and handles items weighing up to 40 pounds. When performing cement work, employee is frequently required to perform heavy lifting up to 100 pounds. Asphalt work requires considerable physical effort while using pickax or air hammer to remove damaged pavement. Work requires frequent stooping, stretching, bending, kneeling, and working in tiring, uncomfortable positions for long periods. In addition, work involves frequent movement and maneuvering of large, heavy equipment using hoists, holders, and pulleys, attaching and disconnecting tow bars, as required.
Working Conditions: The employee works outside in all kinds of weather frequently exposed to dust and dirt. Works near moving parts of equipment and machinery. Employee is regularly exposed to the possibility of cuts, scrapes, bruises, falls, falling material, or injury from equipment. May be required to wear protective clothing, such as hard hats, steel-toed shoes, gloves, masks, and aprons.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated well qualified or above for this position. You must submit a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
90-Day Register: This announcement may result in a 90-day register that may be used to fill like vacancies for 90 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
The resume/documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
All Federal Wage Schedule (FWS) applicants must complete the assessment questionnaire in its entirety or it will result in an ineligible rating. Applicants who meet the requirements for and apply as a non-competitive eligible that meet minimal qualifications and other requirements of this position, will be given consideration as a non-competitive candidate and will be referred unless blocked by an individual with priority/preference.
APPRAISALS/AWARDS: Hiring Managers use objective methods and consider previous performance appraisals and awards in the selection process. Current Federal Civilian employees should list any relevant performance related rating and/or awards in your resume.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application. Other documents may be required based on the eligibility/eligibilities you are claiming. Click here to view the AF Civilian Employment Eligibility Guide and the required documents you must submit to substantiate the eligibilities you are claiming.
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Resume - must include beginning and ending month and year for each employment period, hours worked and supervisor
- Registration/License - active, current registration/license if applicable for the position
- If claiming VRA, VEOA or Veterans' Preference - a copy of your DD Form 214, which must include character of service or a Statement of Service/Proof of Service which must include service dates and character of service. In addition, if claiming 10-point preference and/or 30% Disabled Veteran, you must submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces (or documentation of Purple Heart, if applicable) and a SF 15 (Application for 10-point veteran preference).
- Current or Former Federal Civilian Employees (Includes current Air Force employees): You are required to submit legible copy/copies of your last or most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, (block 24 must be a "1" or "2" AND block 34 must be a"1").
- Applicants must refer to the AF Civilian Employment Eligibility Guide (link provided above) for a complete list of required documents for each eligibility you identify.
Performance Appraisals for Current Federal Civilian Employees - Most recent performance appraisals (dated within last 3 years) showing the official rating of record, signed by a supervisor, or statement why the performance appraisal is unavailable. Applicant should not submit an appraisal that does not include this information.
Awards for Current Federal Civilian Employees - Copies of any award received within the last 3 years.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 03/18/2019
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10428565
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Application button at the end of the process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications). If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent."
- It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application. The Vacancy ID is 10428565
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOT modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Agency contact information
Total Force Service Center
1500 W Perimeter Road
JB Andrews, MD 20762
Once your application package is received an acknowledgement email will be sent.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application.Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility and qualifications for consideration. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
If you do not provide an email address, you are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/524947900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.