This position is located in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, in the Division of Visitor, Fire and Resource Protection.Learn more about this agency
Work Location: Kings Canyon National Park, Grant Grove Subdistrict
Anticipated entry on duty: May 2019
The Senior Firefighter is responsible to the Squad Boss for assuring that the work assignments of the crew are carried out by performing a range of duties such as:
- Distributing and balancing the workload among eight crew members in accordance with established work flow or job specialization, assuring timely accomplishment of the assigned workload, and assuring that each crew member has enough work to keep busy.
- Keeping the Squad Boss informed on work progress, safety, equipment needs, etc.
- Preparing work schedules and coordinating and adjusting work priorities.
- Instructing crew members in specific tasks and job techniques and making available written instructions, reference materials, and supplies.
- Assigning work based on the difficulty and requirements of the assignments and the training, capabilities, and certifications of crew members.
- Giving on-the-job training to Intake Firefighters in accordance with established procedures and practices.
- Maintaining a current knowledge and answering questions of other crew members on procedures, policies, directives, etc., and obtaining needed information or decisions from the Squad Boss on problems that come up.
- Checking on work in progress or spot checking work not requiring review and reviewing completed work to see that the Squad Boss instruction on work sequence, procedures, methods, and deadlines have been met.
- Amending or rejecting work not meeting established standards, referring to the Operations Captain questions or matters not covered by standards and problems in meeting performance standards.
- Informing crew members of available services and employee activities.
- Resolving simple informal complaints of crew members and referring others to the Squad Boss.
- Reporting to the Squad Boss on performance, progress and training needs of crew members, and on disciplinary problems.
- Making information suggestions to the Squad Boss as requested concerning promotions, reassignment, recognition of outstanding performance, and personnel needs.
75% or less - Extensive travel will be required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/524612700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.