The G.V. Sonny Montgomery Veterans Affairs Medical Center is a tertiary care facility with state of the art clinical facilities. The candidate will serve as a General Surgeon in the Surgical Service and will report to the Service Chief. The candidate is expected to perform the full range of major complex general surgery operations on the lower and upper alimentary tract and abdomen and its contents and some laparoscopic procedures consistent with the tertiary care mission of this facility.Learn more about this agency
- Knowledgeable and experienced in relation to the diagnosis, preoperative, operative, and postoperative management, including the management of complications
- Performing a full range of general surgery procedures, and some laparoscopic procedures, in the operating room consistent with the tertiary care mission of the facility
- Clinical care will include pre-operative and post-operative general surgical services, inpatient care including, ICU and surgical outpatient clinics, and on-call responsibilities
- Advising and consulting with providers in other services concerning surgery or potential surgery cases
- Provides a full range of services including assessment and using the most appropriate medical/surgical techniques in providing quality care in general surgery
- Performs examinations to confirm patients can undergo surgery, explain the procedures, and discuss the risks involved, determine the type of surgery including use of advanced minimally invasive operative procedures
- Participates effectively in team meetings and treatment planning conferences, and collaborates with multidisciplinary team members in a manner that enhances coordination of comprehensive patient care
- Prepares consults in both inpatient and outpatient settings to ensure treatment effectiveness and alters the course of treatment as indicated Provides a full range of therapeutic interventions of a general surgeon to units/programs in the Medical Center and has clinical privileges to practice including diagnostic assessment, medication evaluation and management.
- Orders diagnostic tests and discriminates between normal and abnormal findings and makes appropriate treatment decisions
- Order antibiotics, special diets, sedatives, and other prescriptions for pre- and post-operative treatment
- Work Schedule: M-F 8 AM - 4:30 PM (other times as required); subject to change based on agency needs
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
- This position is eligible for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP). If selected for this position, you are encouraged to apply for this award program. You must meet specific individual eligibility criteria, in accordance with VA Policy 1021. The award amount is determined after review of a complete EDRP application, supporting documentation, and final approval by the Under Secretary for Health or designated official and is contingent upon award availability.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/524371800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.