Employee will be assigned to the Operating Room, VA Medical Center, Saint Louis, MO, serving as a member of the surgical team and providing assistance to the surgeon and other team members during surgical procedures.Learn more about this agency
ResponsibilitiesThis position involves a multi-grade career ladder. The major duties listed below represent the full performance level of GS-7. At the GS-6 grade level, you will perform assignments of a more limited scope and with less independence. You will progressively acquire the background necessary to perform at the full performance level of GS-7. Duties include, but may not be limited to the following:
- Functions as a primary scrub person handling instruments, supplies, and equipment during a variety of surgical procedures, such as open heart, major/minor vascular, simple/complex general surgery, orthopedics, urology, ophthalmology, etc.
- Sets up sterile field with all required items for each procedure; plans and discusses each procedure with surgical team members and ensures that all supplies and equipment are available before procedure begins; and prepares, organizes, and maintains simple to highly complex surgical fields.
- Observes and responds promptly to each stage of the surgical procedure; and anticipates the needs of the surgeon, maintaining a high level of concentration for extended periods of time.
- Utilizes standard universal precautions and follows all infection control policies and procedures when handling specimens, supplies, and equipment; and manages surgical specimens.
- Assists the circulating nurse with sponge, needle, and instrument counts to verify accuracy; and performs procedures such as preparing skin grafts, suctioning, holding retractors, applying skin staples and cutting sutures.
- Assists in training other staff (i.e., medical students, residents, etc.) in the operation of equipment, sterile technique, handling of instruments and operating room procedures.
- Maintains the operating room (OR) area; provides guidance and support to other surgical technicians; and performs other related duties as assigned.
Promotion Potential: The selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.
Work Schedule: Rotating Tours
Compressed/Flexible Schedule: Not Available
Position Description Title/PD#: Surgical Technician/07343
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorized
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/524245800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.