The New York Campus of the VA New Harbor Healthcare System has immediate opportunities available in this state-of-the-art facility. We are currently seeking Physician Assistants to join our Surgical Intensive Care Unit (SICU) Team, an integral part of the healthcare team. The incumbent will be working closely with surgeons and other services coordinating continuity of patient care in the Surgical ICU. The PA will provide care within a defined scope of practice.Learn more about this agency
The Physician Assistant is a certified health care professional who performs patient care services on patients in the SICU under the supervision of the Director of the SICU. The ideal candidate will perform history and physical examinations, including blood drawing and other diagnostic elements of initial evaluation. He/she will order indicated laboratory, imaging and other diagnostic studies, initiate consultations and coordinate services. The PA will perform arterial puncture for blood gases and insert and remove nasogastric, rectal and urinary catheters. VA Harbor is seeking a qualified BC/BE individual from an accredited PA program.
- Performing initial histories and physical examinations on inpatients and outpatients.
- The supervising physician will review and countersign all admitting inpatient history and physical examinations.
- Providing effective care to patients characterized by the use of sound judgment in assessing, planning, implementing documenting and evaluating patient care for assigned patients.
- Performing periodic physical examinations on nursing home and domiciliary residents.
- Screening outpatients to determine need for further care.
- Ordering diagnostic studies such as laboratory tests, x-rays, or electrocardiograms (EKGs).
- Carrying out health promotion and disease prevention activities.
- Drawing blood specimens for testing and performing other comparable laboratory procedures.
Financial Discloser Report: Not required
Additionally, this position may be eligible for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP). If selected for this position, you are encouraged to apply for this award program and must meet specific individual eligibility criteria in accordance with VA Policy 1021. Award amount is determined after review of a complete EDRP application and supporting documentation and final approval by the Under Secretary for Health or designated official.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/524230800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.