The Nurse Manager of the 6B Hospitalist Unit serves as the nurse leader for the 13-bed inpatient unit. He/She reports to the Chief Nurse, Medicine and has 24/7 accountability for the operational effectiveness and human resource management of 6B Hospitalist Unit. The Nurse Manager has first-line supervisory authority, responsibility, and accountability for the 24/7 operations of the units, ensuring personnel provide timely nursing care which complies with accepted standards of clinical practice.Learn more about this agency
ResponsibilitiesDuties include, but are not limited to:
- Plans work to be accomplished by assigned staff, setting priorities and preparing schedules for completion of work.
- Assigns work to unit staff based on priorities, selective consideration of the difficulty and the requirements of the assignments, and individual capabilities.
- Evaluates the performance of assigned staff.
- Makes recommendations for appointments, advancements or reassignments.
- Provides advice, counsel, or instruction to personnel on work and administrative matters.
- Listens to and resolves complaints and referring more serious complaints not resolved to higher level supervisors.
- Recommends and/or takes disciplinary action where appropriate.
- Identifies developmental and training needs of assigned staff and providing or making provision for such development and training.
- Responsible for performance improvement, customer service/patient satisfaction, patient and employee safety, interviewing applicants, employee relations, standards of care and practice, the work environment, and accreditation and regulatory standards.
- Works collaboratively with the 6B Hospitalist interdisciplinary team in the provision of care for the Veteran inpatient. Actively develops and manages collaborative partnerships with interdisciplinary team members.
- Works with other Nurse Managers to identify and share resources.
- Provides coverage in the absence of other unit Nurse Managers and the Chief, Patient Care Service as needed.
- Responsible for time scheduling of the unit, coaches staff, deals with employee conduct and performance issues, completes recurring reports and performance evaluations in a timely manner.
- Participates on service and medical center committees and task forces to improve nursing practice and patient care.
- Identifies educational needs of staff, including assigned volunteers and work transition program, and ensures that these needs are addressed.
- Plays an integral role in supporting and facilitating student nurse clinical experiences, as well as orienting new Nurse Managers. Works in partnership with the union and adheres to Equal Employment Opportunity principles.
- Ensures the delivery of the highest quality of nursing care.
- Liaisons with the inpatient nursing community.
- Responsible for ensuring his/her actions contribute to a mode of continued accreditation readiness regarding Joint Commission (TJC), Office of Inspector General (OIG), Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF), VA surveyors, Laboratory College of American Pathologists (CAP), and other survey teams.
Work Schedule: Days, 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. or 7:30 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. Must be flexible to meet patient and staffing needs.Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
- Consistently protects printed and electronic files containing sensitive data in accordance with the provisions of the Privacy Act of 1974 and other applicable laws, federal regulations, statues and policy, and VHA policy.
Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP): You will be eligible to apply for an award up to the maximum limitation under the provisions of EDRP. Eligibility to apply does not guarantee acceptance into the program. Award amounts are based on availability of funding. For additional information, contact Human Resources, 205-933-8101 extension 8049 to speak with the EDRP Coordinator.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/524058500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.