This position is located at the VA Caribbean Healthcare System, Spinal Cord Injury/Disorders (SCI/D) in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The VA Caribbean Healthcare System (VACHS) consists of a tertiary care VA Medical Center (VAMC) located in San Juan, Puerto Rico and 10 Outpatient Clinics (OPCs) located throughout Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.Learn more about this agency
NOTE: This is a TEMPORARY appointment (not-to-exceed 1 year). This appointment may be renewed for additional service in accordance with Agency needs for 1 additional year. Temporary positions offer health insurance (if the employee is expected to work at least 130 hours per month for at least 90 days) but do not offer life insurance or retirement benefits and may be terminated at any time before the expiration date. The appointment to a Temporary position does not confer eligibility for promotion or reassignment to other positions or the ability to be non-competitively converted to permanent employment.
The position involves professional work requiring application of knowledge of the concepts, principles, and of recreation therapy, and the use of recreational modalities to treat the physical, mental, emotional, and social needs of individual patients, groups of patients and families; maintain or rehabilitate patients' physical and/or mental health. Major duties include:
- Evaluate the history, interests, aptitudes, and skills of patients by interviews, inventories, tests, and measurements;
- conducts assessments using effective interviewing techniques and assessment instruments to obtain objective and information pertaining to the veteran's interests, preferences, aptitudes, abilities, and clinical needs in recreation therapy;
- scores, evaluates, and interprets the assessment data and communicates the findings to the multidisciplinary care team;
- develops a full range of therapeutic care for a wide variety of inpatient or outpatient persons served;
- develops and provides effective clinical interventions that are consistent with the therapist's professional Scope of Practice, Standards of Care, and Professional Ethics;
- documents the treatment rendered and patient's progress in the computerized patient record system (CPRS) and discusses progress with the treatment team;
- schedules and conducts weekly, evening and weekend programming to support hospital-wide and/or departmental objectives;
- Makes individual purchases not exceeding $3,500 unless specifically authorized to do so by Head of Contracting;
- Reconciles purchase card charges within the established time limits; and
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Recruitment & Relocation Incentives: Not authorizedFinancial Disclosure Report: Not Required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/524036800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.