This position reports to the Pathology and Laboratory Service Line and is responsible for developing, performing, evaluating, interpreting, correlating, and validating the accuracy of laboratory procedures and results. Testing procedures are performed on a variety of biological specimens and/or environmental samples using manual or automated techniques, and requires a broad exercise of independent judgment and responsibility with minimal technical supervision.Learn more about this agency
The duties and responsibilities of the Medical Technologist - Generalist include but are not limited to the following:
1. Performs a broad range of laboratory procedures including all testing and tasks of the medical laboratory technologist occupation. In addition, performs advanced and complex laboratory procedures; recognizes deviation from expected results; analyzes and corrects problems using scientific principles.
2. Evaluates and solves problems related to collection and processing of biological specimens for analysis taking into account physiologic processes and requirements. .
3. Maintains and documents the optimal functioning of laboratory equipment. Uses, calibrates, identifies malfunctions, repairs and performs preventative maintenance of laboratory equipment. Diagnoses deviations in test performance due to instrument malfunction.
4. Performs and documents quality control and assurance activities and corrective actions related to test performance using statistical principles and theories of performance improvement.
5. Adheres to practices and regulations governing biosafety and biosecurity in the workplace.
6. Identifies discrepancies, solves problems and presents solutions.
7. Answers inquiries regarding test results, methodology, test specialty, test sensitivity, and specific factors, which influence test results. Interprets results and suggests follow-up test selection or procedures.
8. Evaluates and implements new techniques and procedures in the laboratory in terms of equipment, method comparison, and establishment of reference intervals using statistical methods and theoretical knowledge. Interprets findings and makes recommendations.
9. Incorporates principles of educational methodology in the instruction and training of new employees and students and in the laboratory's in-service/continuing education program.
10. Communicates effectively and courteously while working as a healthcare team member. Provides excellent service as defined by the customer (healthcare providers, patients, and others.) Gives direction and guidance using underlying principles of laboratory testing.
11. Organizes work and sets priorities to meet deadline.
Work Schedule: Varies based on organizational need
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
**A Recruitment or Relocation Incentive May Be Authorized for A Highly Qualified Applicant.**
This position is eligible for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), a student loan reimbursement program within VHA. If selected for this position, you are encouraged to apply for this award program and must meet specific individual eligibility criteria in accordance with VA Policy 1021. Employees must apply for EDRP within four (4) months of appointment. Final award amount and program start date is determined after review of a complete EDRP application and supporting documentation by the VHA Education Loan Repayment Services team. Maximum award is total amount of qualifying loans up to $200,000. If selected, the local HR POC will provide the EDRP contact information for application materials and procedures.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/523828100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.