This is an open continuous announcement for Medical Technologists at the Sacramento VA Medical Center.Learn more about this agency
We accept applications for this occupation on an ongoing basis; qualified applicants will be considered as vacancies become available. Applications will be reviewed and names forwarded for consideration on a biweekly basis.
The incumbent performs as a generalist medical technologist and rotates with other generalists on a regular basis through a variety of laboratory disciplines with the responsibility of performing a full range of routine tests in the areas of hematology, chemistry, coagulation, microbiology, blood banking, and urinalysis, as well as, complex analyses and specialized tasks; evaluating abnormal results; using and maintain equipment; and setting up and monitoring quality controls. Some of the duties may include,but are not limited to the following:
- Evaluates and solves problems related to collection and processing of biological specimens for analysis taking into account physiologic processes and requirements. Maintains and documents the optimal functioning of laboratory equipment.
- Uses, calibrates, identifies malfunctions, repairs, and performs preventive maintenance of laboratory equipment.
- Troubleshoots deviations in test performance due to instrument malfunction.
- Performs and documents quality control and assurance activities and corrective actions related to test performance using statistical principles and theories of performance improvement.
- Adheres to practices and regulations governing bio-safety and bio-security in the workplace. Identifies discrepancies, solves problems, and presents solutions.
- Answers inquiries regarding test results, methodology, test specificity, test sensitivity, and specific factors, which influence test results. Interprets results and suggests follow-up test selection or procedures.
- Evaluates and implements new techniques and procedures in the laboratory in terms of equipment, method comparison, and establishment of reference intervals using statistical methods and theoretical knowledge. Interprets findings and makes recommendations. Incorporates principles of educational methodology in the instruction and training of new employees and students and in the laboratory's in-service/continuing education program. Communicates effectively and courteously with and while working as a health care team member.
- Gives direction and guidance using underlying principles of laboratory testing.
- Organizes work and sets priorities to meet deadlines.
Work Schedule: Days, Evenings and Night Shifts available.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Required to work weekends and holidays: Occasionally
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): Exempt
Bargaining Unit: Yes
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/523629900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.