The Maintenance Mechanic will be working at the VA San Diego HealthCare System, in San Diego, CA. This position is located in the Engineering Service, In-House Construction Team. The primary purpose of the position is to serve the Veteran under the supervision of the Supervisor, In-House Construction Team.Learn more about this agency
- Performs the full range of journey level duties associated with a variety of wood crafters, carpentry, asbestos containment, masonry, locksmith, painting and roofing tasks where fit, accuracy and space are essential and structural soundness and appearance is essential.
- Works with cabinetry, furniture, orthopedic devises for use in medical offices and other uses.
- Tasks will require constructing, altering, repairing, and modifying items made of metal, wood, and wood substitutes.
- Makes site inspections and determination of process to isolate asbestos containing materials prior to the breach of any asbestos containment barrier.
- Constructs and oversees asbestos barriers on job sites.
- Builds orthopedics devices, fixtures, shelving, cabinets, interior walls, laths, sheathing, floors, ceiling, and stairs with verbal and/or drawings.
- Installs window frames, doors, outside trims, inside trims.
- Maintains, repairs, and alters the interior and exterior structures built from concrete, block, ceramic tiles.
- Removes, installs, maintains, repairs, designs and tests electrical systems, feeder systems, related switches, distribution panels, outlet boxes as well as a wide variety of electrical alarms, fixtures, tools, pumps, motors, fans, and appliances.
- Diagnoses system or equipment malfunctions and repairs as necessary.
- Inspects, maintains, cleans, repairs, tests and adjusts electrical generators, commercial feeder systems, security light sets, light fixtures, fans, heating systems, appliances, thermostats, electrical equipment used to chill/freeze/cool filter air.
- Performs the full range of journey level plumbing tasks including installing and maintaining supply and disposal system and equipment such as: sewage, water, oil and gas distribution systems, water fixtures, lavatories, showers, sinks, dishwashing machines, etc.
- Makes plaster and applies to walls and ceilings, taking into consideration type of lathing, required thickness, weather conditions, etc.
- Lays on scratch coat and examine for dryness before applying next coat.
- Fits creeds to edges and corners; scores surfaces for finishing coat.
- Skims finish coat on with trowel and works over with wet brush to produce smooth surface.
- Must troubleshoot, repair, maintain, and fully install a wide variety of commercial locking devices of varied manufacturers.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Recruitment & Relocation Incentives: Not authorized
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/523556000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.