This position is being announced as a Chemist, GS-1320-11/12/13/14. The full performance level of each selection will be determined by the center.Learn more about this agency
This Direct-Hire position is in the Food and Drug Administration, with multiple locations throughout the U.S. and its territories.
Note: Salaries may vary based on the actual location you are hired at. You can reference OPM's 2018 General Schedule Pay Tables site to see the current locality-adjusted salary rates for any region.
- Perform scientific analysis, investigation, and research on the chemical and physical properties of food components, drugs, antibiotics, agricultural chemicals, immunogenic agents, biological products, and/or environmental agents.
- Develop and modify analytical methods or research projects to study the composition, molecular structure, chemical properties, and chemical reactions of substances in natural and man-made environments.
- Assist in writing comprehensive statistical and analytical reports from scientific investigations studies and projects.
- Participate in developing analytical methods and extending their application to other substances, designing new sampling and sample preparation procedures and validation and collaborative studies.
- Evaluate and interpret product safety and quality data, which contribute to complex, long range, and emerging issues of both a scientific and regulatory nature.
- Ensure that the organization's strategic plan, mission, vision, and values are communicated and integrated into the team's strategies, goals, objectives, and work.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- Scientific Research Positions: Research positions require an evaluation of the scientific contributions, recognition and professional standing of the researcher as they related to the position being filled.
- Writing Samples and Portfolios: A writing sample or publication portfolio may be required.
- Peer Review: Some scientific and research positions may be subject to peer review.
- This is a Direct-Hire advertisement: Veterans Preference is not applicable to this advertisement. Learn more about Direct-Hire at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-information/competitive-hiring/#url=directhire
- Notice Regarding Corporate Recruiting: Additional selections may be made from this vacancy, within the same geographical area, by other organizational elements from within FDA. Your application may be shown to multiple hiring offices.
- Selecting Service Registration: If you were born male, after, December 31st 1959, you must be registered with the Selective Service System, or have an approved exemption. Learn more at www.SSS.gov.
- Financial disclosure statement, OGE-450, may be required: Please be advised that this position will be subject to FDA's prohibited financial interest regulation and may require the incumbent of this position to divest of certain financial interests.
- Pre-employment physical required: No Drug testing required: No
- Security and Background Requirements: Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action.
- E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System.
- License required: No Mobility agreement required: No Immunization required: No Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
- Relocation Incentives may be authorized; however, this is contingent upon funds availability. If authorized, certain incentives will require you to sign a service agreement to remain in the Federal government for a period of up to 3 years.
- Current Competitive Employees: This position is a Direct-Hire Authority for certain STEM, medical, and IT Cyber Security positions. Per OPM regulations, current employees in the competitive service are not eligible for appointment under Direct-Hire.
In order be eligible for the position of Chemist, (GS-1320-11/12/13/14), you must meet the following requirements:
Have a degree in physical sciences, life sciences, or engineering that included 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by course work in mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics.
Have a combination of education and experience -- course work equivalent to a major listed above, including at least 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS:
You must possess one year (52-weeks) of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the next lower grade levelin the Federal service. Such experience will be determined based upon the position to be filled.
In accordance with Office of Personnel Management policy, federal employees are assumed to have gained experience by performing duties and responsibilities appropriate for their official series and grade level as described in their position description.
Experience that would not normally be part of the employee's position is creditable, however, when documented by satisfactory evidence, such as a signed memorandum from the employee's supervisor or an SF-50 or SF-52 documenting an official detail or other official assignment. The documentation must indicate whether the duties were performed full time or, if part time, the percentage of times the other duties were performed. It is expected that this documentation is included in the employee's official personnel record. In order to receive credit for experience in your resume that is not within the official series and grade level of your official position, you must provide a copy of the appropriate documentation of such experience as indicated above.
All qualification requirements must be met by 11:59 pm (Eastern Time) on 02/19/2019. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your responses when compared to your background information, you may be deemed ineligible or your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your skills and abilities.
If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. You must submit a course by course evaluation statement.
For more information about this requirement, please visit the U.S. Department of Education website for Foreign Education Evaluation.
- If you are serving, or have served in the last 5 years (from 02/19/2019) as an Executive Branch political, Schedule C, or Non-career SES appointee, HHS/FDA may be required to obtain approval by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) prior to beginning employment. You can find out if you have held one of these appointment types by looking at your Standard Form 50s in your Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF), in Section 5 where the legal authorities are listed. If you have served or are currently serving, you must provide a copy of your SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, documenting this appointment. In addition, you will be required to respond to the question in the assessment and certify your responses to the questionnaire. See Political Appointee FAQ - OPM for more...
- Direct-Hire Authority: On October 11th, 2018, the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) issued a special government-wide Direct Hire Authority (DHA) for Scientific, Technical, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM), and cyber security-related positions nationwide. This position is open to all U.S. Citizens and all qualified candidates will be referred for consideration. The hiring manager may select from any of these qualified candidates without regard to veteran's preference. Learn more about Direct-Hire on OPM's website...
- Veterans Preference: Veterans Preference does not apply to this advertisement because it falls under the aforementioned DHA.
- Reasonable Accommodation: This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the Bethesda Center Help Desk (888) 478-4340; TTY/TDD: (866) 539-4484; or by email email@example.com. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. See the Reasonable Accommodation Policy for more information...
- Equal Employment Opportunity: The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor See the EEO Policy for more information...
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the job opportunity announcement closes (at 11:59 pm ET on 02/19/2019), your resume and all supporting documents will be reviewed by HR to determine your eligibility for Federal employment and your qualification for this position specifically.
Because this vacancy will be filled through OPM's Direct Hire Authority. Veterans Preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to positions filled under this announcement. Applications received as a result of job fairs, recruitment events, and emergency hiring mechanisms in support of this hiring initiative will also be accepted during the duration of the direct-hire authority. All qualified candidates will be referred for consideration; the hiring office may conduct interviews at their discretion.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The following documents are REQUIRED for this vacancy,
A document that is required must be submitted by all applicants because the document is needed to verify your qualifications, education, or other eligibility information. Failure to provide one of the documents in the list below may result in your application being considered incomplete.
The following additional documents are ACCEPTED for this vacancy.
- Cover Letter
- Other Veterans Document
These supplemental documents are ued to support your application claims but may not apply to every applicant. If a document appears in this list, it may still be required for verification purposes, such as claims for special hiring authorities, licensure or certification, education, etc. The links below will provide additional information about documentation.
Learn more about supporting documents and documentation requirements on USAJOBS:
- How to Understand the Required Documents Section
- What Types of Documents May I Need?
- How to Manage Your Documents on USAJOBS
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the assessment questionnaire and submit all documentation specified in the Required Documents section. To receive consideration for this position, you must submit your complete application by 11:59 pm Eastern Time on the closing date of this announcement (02/19/2019).
Instructions for applying to this job:
- You must be signed in to USAJOBS. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you must first create one before you can apply
- If you are signed in, you can tap/click "Apply Online" to begin the process.
- USAJOBS will ask you to select a resume to submit. We recommend that you submit a USAJOBS Resume Builder formatted resume so that you know you're submitting all the information we will need. You may also submit a resume in the format of your choice. For tips on what to include in your resume, see the USAJOBS Resume Help site.
- USAJOBS will then allow you to include documentation from your USAJOBS Saved Documents area. (You may also attach additional supporting documents during this stage, or you may do so prior to submitting your application.)
- You will then be required to respond to certify your application materials and you'll be given the chance to elect to provide demographic information (if you have completed this part of your USAJOBS profile).
- Finally, you will be transferred to the USA Staffing® Application Manager system to complete the occupational questionnaire and finalize your application for submission. Follow the on-screen instructions provided and respond to ALL questions presented to you. You will be allowed to finalize and submit additional documents one last time. You will review your application and make final submission. You will then be returned back to USAJOBS.
- Should you need help while using the Application Manger site, please click the ? Help icon at the top-right corner of the screen, or see the Applicant Help Site. If this does not resolve your question, the FDA Applicant Help Desk contact information is below.
- If you need to make a change to your application, or if you just want to know your application status, you will need to be logged in to your USAJOBS account. Tap/click on your name in the top-right corner, then select "Applications".
- You will see a list of the most recent applications you have submitted. Tap/click on the one you wish to review or edit. The item will expand and provide your current status, along with additional information about that application. If you wish to change something then tap/click the "Update Application" button.
- You will be taken through the same steps you did when you initially applied. You can make changes to add or remove supporting documents before being transferred over to the USA Staffing® Application Manager where you can continue making changes to your responses to the occupational questionnaire. Step through the process as you did the first time, taking care to make the changes you need, and submitting in the final step.
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the FDA Applicant Help Desk at (888) 478-4340; TTY/TDD: (800) 877-8339; or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. (If you request by e-mail, please replace the blank space in the body with the Vacancy Identification Number, VIN, which is:10411992). Decisions on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
The FDA Applicant Help Desk is staffed from 7am to 6pm (Eastern Time), Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays.
Agency contact information
FDA Applicant Help Desk
AddressCenter for Drug Evaluation and Research
10903 New Hampshire Ave
Silver Spring, MD 20993
Once you have submitted your complete application, (to include the resume, all required supporting documentation, and the responses to the assessment questionnaires), your application will be reviewed by HR to determine your eligibility and qualification status. If you are referred to the hiring office, they may contact you at their discretion for an interview. If you are not referred, you may not immediately receive a notification due to the high volume of applications that are typically submitted to direct-hire advertisements.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/523341400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.