Central Texas Veterans Health Care System (CTVHCS) is one of the largest integrated health care systems in the Department of Veterans Affairs and includes facilities in Temple, Waco, and Austin, TX. Community-Based Outpatient Clinics are located in Brownwood, Cedar Park, Palestine, LaGrange, and Bryan-College Station.Learn more about this agency
NO STATE TAXES!!!
"Veterans' preference does not apply for current permanent Federal agency employees as long as they are listed as part of the area of consideration."
The provider will be involved in care of patients with gastroenterological and liver disorders in an outpatient setting. Provider will be involved in consultation and follow upof patients in GI clinics including selecting appropriate patients based on current guidelines for procedures and ancillary testing and appropriate use of therapeutic agents. Provider will be involved in Colonoscopy and procedure group classes and making sure patients are selected and prepped adequately for GI procedures. Patient education will be needed as part of duties. Provider will work closely with GI Physicians.This position is located in Austin Texas. Central Texas Veterans Health Care System(CTVHCS).Preferred Experience: Minimum of 1 year of experience of working in Gastroenterology.
This is a bargaining Unit Position.
Work Schedule: Monday- Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30p.m.; however, flexible work hours to include weekends, holidays and extended hours maybe required.
Recruitment/Relocation Incentive: Not Authorized.
IF PATIENT NEEDS ARISE, THE INCUMBENT OF THE ABOVE POSITION MAY BE REASSIGNED WITHIN THE CENTRAL TEXAS VETERANS HEALTH CARE SYSTEM.
This position was previously open to Central Texas Veterans Health Care System Employees (CBAW-10396128-19-Fhe-074).
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position, if patient needs arise.
Conditions of Employment
- United States Citizenship Required; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
- Financial Discloser Report: Not required
QualificationsTo qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 02/19/2019.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Individuals appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d).
- Must pass pre-employment physical.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education(CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing,possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full,active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Master's Degree from a program approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted license, or otherwise recognized, as an Adult Nurse Practitioner in any State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia. In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active, and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Must maintain full and current certification as a nurse practitioner from the American Nurses Association or another nationally recognized certifying body. (The certification must be in the specialty to which the individual is being appointed or selected.)
- Graduate of a PA training program or a surgical assistant program which is accredited by the ARC-PA or one of its predecessor organizations, AND Possess a minimum of a bachelor's degree from an accredited PA training program or in another health sciences related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the US Department of Education or are a current VA employee that was hired as a Physician Assistant prior to September 5, 2014.
- A Current and continuous certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) is required for employment in VHA.
- As of March 12, 1993, certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician's Assistants (NCCPA) is a requirement for employment. This requirement does not apply to non-certified PAs on VA rolls as of that date.
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria for Physician Assistants must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade.
Full Grade. In addition to meeting the basic requirements in paragraph 2, individuals appointed to this grade must meet all the following requirements:(1) Experience / Education. None beyond the basic requirements in paragraph 2 of this standard.(2) Clinical Competencies: Clinical Proficiency; Professional Development; Ethics;Interpersonal Skills; Research
Intermediate Grade. In addition to meeting the basic requirements under paragraph 2 above, candidates must meet all requirements described in this standard for Full Grade through VA employment or non-VA PA positions with equivalent scope and complexity. Individuals appointed or advanced to Intermediate Grade will have demonstrated the ability to analyze and solve more complex medical problems and meet the following requirements:
(1) Experience / Education
(a) 1 year of professional practice as a PA; or
(b) Successful completion of a PA post-graduate residency program accredited by ARC-PA or by the U.S. Armed Forces; or
(c) A Master's degree from a PA training program certified by ARC-PA or in another health-related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
(2) Clinical Competencies: Clinical Proficiency; Professional Development; Ethics;Interpersonal Skills; Research
References: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G8 PA Qual Std, Dated 9/5/14. Thiscan be found in the local Human Resources Office.
***See Additional Information for Senior Grade***
***See How you be evaluated for Chief Grade Requirements.***
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Physical Requirements: Heavy Lifting (45 lbs and over); Heavy Carrying (45 lbs and over); Pushing (1 hour); Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (up to 3 hours); Standing (up to 3 hours); Repeated bending (1-2 hours); Both legs required; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; ability to distinguish basic colors; ability to distinguish shades of colors; Hearing (aid permitted)
Senior Grade. In addition to meeting the basic requirements under paragraph 2 above, candidates must meet all requirements described in this standard for Intermediate Grade through VA employment or non-VA PA positions with equivalent scope and complexity. Individuals appointed or advanced to Senior Grade will have demonstrated the behaviors or responsibilities listed in one or more of the following categories: Clinical Proficiency, Education, Professional Development, Management/Administrative, and Research, as applicable to the assignment
(1) Experience / Education
(a) 3 years of professional practice as a PA; or
(b) 2 years of professional practice as a PA and successful completion of a PA post- graduate residency program accredited by ARC-PA or by the U.S. Armed Forces; or
(c) 2 years of professional practice as a PA and a Master's degree from a PA training program certified by ARC-PA or in another health-related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education; or
(d) A Doctoral degree in a health-related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the U. S. Department of Education.
(2) Management/Administrative. One of the following responsibilities must be demonstrated:
(a) Evaluates service level patient care delivery systems and validates or identifies barriers to safe, effective care. Presents findings and recommendations to appropriate management officials and participates in implementation of changes.
(b) Manages patient quality management data bases such as the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP) if assigned.
(c) Serves on service or facility committees/task forces if applicable to the assignment.
(d) Coordinates consult referrals within the service assigned.
(e) Coordinates and facilitates inter-service agreements.
(3) Clinical Competencies: Clinical Proficiency; Professional Development; Ethics;Interpersonal Skills; Research
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Chief Grade. In addition to meeting the basic requirements under paragraph 2 above,candidates must meet all requirements described in this standard for Senior Grade through VA employment or non-VA PA positions with equivalent scope and complexity. Appointment or promotion to Chief Grade is based on the individual's demonstrated high level of clinical expertise, leadership ability, and the ability to function with a high degree of autonomy. Further, the PA candidate for Chief Grade will have demonstrated all the requirements of one or more of the following categories: Management/Administrative,Clinical Proficiency, Professional Development and Research.
(1) Experience / Education
(a) Generally, an individual in this grade is able to demonstrate the behaviors listed in the areas below after 5 years of professional practice as a PA; and,
(b) The minimum education for this grade is a Master's Degree from a PA training program accredited by ARC-PA or in a health-related field of study. However, experience as a PA may be substituted for the Master's degree where the individual has an equivalent knowledge of the profession and has successfully undertaken a combination of difficult or complex assignments in several clinical, administrative, research and educational arenas which required a high degree of competence.
(a) Accepts substantial and continuing responsibility for managing or coordinating a healthcare program including follow-up actions to ensure compliance with regulatory bodies required by internal and external review organizations and accrediting bodies, and;
(b) Successfully integrates the activities of the employee's assignment with other patient care programs at the facility or with similar programs on a broader geographic basis, and;
(c) Develops policies and procedures and participates in executive level decision making deliberations, and;
(d) Participates in long range program planning and model development for effective delivery of services, and;
(e) Performs a full range of administrative duties relative to the assignment.
(3) Clinical Competencies: Clinical Proficiency; Professional Development; Ethics;Interpersonal Skills; Research
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: Applicant's education and experience will be reviewed by a Professional Standards Board and utilized in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
VA Form 10-2850a (Nurse Practitioners) or VA Form 10-2850c (Physician Assistants) can be found at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey=&Action=Search.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's (current/former Federal employees), etc.
- Cover Letter
- Copy of Certification; Copy of License.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), 10pt (CP/CPS/XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP) in the questionnaire. You must provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) which shows dates and character of service (honorable, general, etc.). If you are currently serving on active duty and expect to be released or discharged within 120 days you must submit documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), and dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veteran Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. Documentation is required to award preference. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online. To apply for this position, you must complete the full questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 02/19/2019 to receive consideration. To preview the questionnaire click https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10415525.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USA JOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click Submit My Answers to submit your application package.
NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
To verify your application is complete, log into your USA JOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. To return to an incomplete application, log into your USA JOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USA JOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
NOTE: Participation in the seasonal influenza program is a condition of employment and a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel (HCP). HCP are individuals who, during the influenza season, work in VHA locations where patients receive care or who come into contact with VA patients as part of their duties. VHA locations include, but are not limited to, VA hospitals and associated clinics, community living centers (CLCs), community-based outpatient clinics (CBOCs), domiciliary units, Vet centers and VA-leased facilities. HCP include all VA licensed and unlicensed, clinical and administrative, paid and unpaid, full- and part-time employees, intermittent employees, fee basis employees, VA contractors, students, researchers, volunteers, and trainees who work at these facilities. HCPs that are unable to receive or otherwise decline a flu shot will be expected to wear a face mask throughout the influenza season.
Agency contact information
AddressVA Central Texas Health Care System
1901 Veterans Memorial Drive
Temple, TX 76504
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USA Jobs account and clicking on Applications. Information regarding your application status can be found in the USAJobs Help Center.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/523326200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.