About the Position:Learn more about this agency
*This is a term appointment and it may be extended up to total of 6 years. Contingent to specific conditions there may be an opportunity to be Non-competitively converted to a career-conditional or career appointment.*
- As a Materials Engineer/Chemical Engineer/Chemist in the Combat Feeding Directorate, you will plan and conduct research and development studies on materials and conduct product development. In addition, you will:
- Serve as project specialist with responsibility for broad Research and Development exploratory engineering work. Set up, modify, and adapt laboratory equipment as required for specific investigation and developmental efforts.
- Assess the operational requirement against current materials performance, and provide technical trades and recommendations for required development to meet requirement.
- Compile, analyze, interpret and prepare results for discussion and coordination with supervisor and other laboratory specialists. Adapt precedents or existing strategies to meet unusual needs or special demands.
- Development and compounding of polymer formulations and composites utilizing laboratory scale twin screw extrusion. Laboratory scale extrusion processing of mono- and multi-layer polymeric films, employing cast and blown film processing methods.
- Development of multi layer film configurations and processing parameters based on rheological properties and co-extrusion system design. Oxygen and water vapor permeation testing and analysis utilizing MOCON OX-TRAN and PERMATRAN modules.
- Package integrity testing, including burst pressure, leak detection, and seal strength. Physical testing of film and sheet material, including tensile properties, puncture resistance, impact resistance, and tear strength.
- Thermal analysis of polymeric materials and composites, including thermogravimetric analysis (TGA) and differential scanning calorimetry (DSC).
- Characterization and layer analysis of polymer composites and mono/multilayer films utilizing polarized optical microscopy.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/523301000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.