The Health Technician performs routine administrative and logistical tasks in support of the San Diego VA Healthcare System. The selectee functions under the direct guidance of a clinic Registered Nurse (RN) as a member of an interdisciplinary team working in a clinic setting.Learn more about this agency
The selectee performs patient care and documents in the electronic medical record, patient intake and exit interviews to support the efficiency and work flow of the clinic. Specific patient intake actions include but are not limited to:
- Obtaining accurate and complete sets of automated and/or manually measured vital signs (e.g. temperature, pulse, respirations, blood pressure, oxygen saturation), documentation of pain status, measurements of accurate height and weight, measurements of visual acuity, down loading of patient glucometer readings as appropriate, documentation of skin conditions evident.
- Completes all applicable clinical reminders upon intake and takes appropriate clinical action as needed, based on responses. Such actions may include: initiating 911/quick response notifications, referrals to mental health integration/1:1 monitoring.
- Organizes comprehensive patient treatment areas and prepares patients for their visit.
- Performs and documents in the electronic medical record, electrocardiograms (EKG) obtained using electrocardiographic equipment such as a 12-lead electrocardiogram and accessories, according to manufacturer's instructions. The health technician instructs, positions and prepares patients for the EKG.
- Attaches electrodes, manipulates the controls, accurately enters patient information and checks the recordings for any abnormal tracing caused by external action or conditions.
- Monitors waiting areas and exam rooms for patient safety; identifies safety hazards and initiates appropriate action to correct or report unsafe conditions. Escorts/ transports patients between areas within the clinic as necessary.
Work Schedule: M-F 0700-1800/weekends, holidays possible
Compressed/Flexible: Not available
Telework: Not available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Health Technician~11840A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/523257900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.