The mission of the Podiatric Medical Service of the Veterans Healthcare System is to serve the needs of American's Veterans by providing the highest quality foot ankle care. The position is located with the Surgical Service at the VA Caribbean Healthcare System in San Juan, PR. The staff Podiatrist position encompasses to work in a fully integrated interdisciplinary health care team, providing the full scope of podiatric services based on education, training, licensure and competency.Learn more about this agency
The overall Podiatrist duties, responsibilities and services include but are not limited to:
- Completes patient relevant history, physical examination and documentation in medical record.
- Provides independently diagnosis, treatment and surgical intervention of ailments and deformities of the human foot.
- Delivers medical and surgical management of podiatric pathology, and referral for further diagnosis, treatment and co-management of related systemic conditions disclosed through initial screening (i.e. diabetic, arthritis, heart diseases, kidney disease, etc.).
- Provides prescription of pharmaceuticals and therapeutic devices, as well as the ordering of diagnostic tests and initiation of appropriate consultations.
- Provides prescription and adjustments of orthotics, design of plaster casts to accommodate and correct deformities, and design of custom-made shoes.
- Designs flexible casts for immobilization for foot fractures and sprains.
- Applies surgical procedures for total patient care (i.e., Debridement, pathomechanical, foot orthopedic, biomechanical, radiographic, orthotic, dermatological, etc.).
- Provides a team approach to reduce lower extremity complications of chronic diseases, such as diabetes and peripheral vascular disease consistent with US DHHC Healthy People 2010.
- Provides quality podiatric medical education.
- Provides care in the most cost-effective manner while assuring adequate access, and maintain a high level of quality as measured by patient satisfaction.
- Participates in research oriented towards patient outcomes.
- Complies with the regulations and practices as stated Service Agreements established by Podiatry/Surgical Service and the ACOS for Primary Care.
- Supports other VHA services in their patient care missions.
Work Schedule: Monday thru Friday, from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. May required to work on weekends and holidays.
Financial Discloser Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/523194300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.