Are you a graduate student interested in working with senior industrial/organizational psychologists to deliver employment and organizational assessment services to Federal agencies? As an intern, you may assist with any or all of the following: develop, implement, and evaluate assessment tools for selection or promotion; develop and administer surveys; analyze data (SPSS, MS Excel, R); write technical reports; conduct job analysis/competency modeling or gap analysis and/or program evaluation.Learn more about this agency
- If selected, you will work under the direction of senior Industrial/Organizational psychologists and project managers. Typical duties will include the following:
- Assist with developing, implementing, and evaluating assessment tools that may be used for selection, promotion, development, or organizational evaluation.
- Assessment tools may include biodata, accomplishment record, cognitive ability, job knowledge, personality, situational judgment, structured interview, and training and experience.
- Assessment tools also may include work samples, multi-source feedback, leadership assessments, and organizational surveys.
- Assist with occupational analysis/competency modeling, including developing task and competency lists, conducting SME panels, conducting job analysis surveys, and analyzing job analysis survey data.
- Contribute to writing technical reports, which could include drafting one or more sections of a report.
- Analyze data using SPSS, MS Excel, and/or R.
Occasional travel - Travel average 10%-15% yearly, but may exceed that percentage during periods of increased service delivery.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National (a resident of American Samoa and Swain Island)
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service
- Suitable for Federal employment, determined by a background investigation
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period
- Pathways participant agreement is required.
QualificationsBASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: You must have successfully completed a full 4-year course of study in an accredited or pre-accredited academic institution leading to a bachelor's or higher degree with a major or equivalent in psychology to receive further consideration.
To qualify for the GS-09 grade level: In addition to the basic education requirement, you MUST meet onerequirement below:
A. Education: 2 or more academic years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Master's degree or Ph.D. (or equivalent) in Industrial/Organizational (I/O) Psychology or related field (e.g., organizational development; applied, social, or applied social psychology) but not completed the degree requirements (1 year of full-time graduate education equals the number of credit hours the school determines represents 1 year of full-time study. If the information cannot be determined from the school, 18 semester hours equals 1 year of full-time study); OR
B. Education: Completed all requirements for a Master's degree (or equivalent) in I/O Psychology or related field; OR
C. Education: Completed all requirements for a Ph.D. (or equivalent) in I/O Psychology or related field; OR
D. Experience: Completed 1 year (52 weeks) or more of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and complexity to the Federal GS-07 grade or pay band performing I/O Psychology duties (e.g., conducting literature searches; performing statistical analyses; identifying job requirements or analyzing job analysis data; administering routine assessments or organizational surveys; maintaining the integrity of data and performing quality assurance controls on data); OR
E. Combination of Education and Experience: Less than the 2 academic years of graduate education in "A" and less than the experience in "D," but have a combination of the type of education in "A" and type of experience in "D" totaling 100% of the required qualifications. To determine the combination, compute experience as a percentage of experience in "D"; compute education as a percentage of education in "A"; add the 2 percentages. Total percentages must equal at least 100%. Only graduate education exceeding 1 year (i.e., 18 semester hours) may be combined with experience.
To qualify for the GS-11 grade level: In addition to the basic education requirement, you MUST meet one requirement below:
A. Education: Completed all requirements for a Master's degree (or equivalent) in Industrial/Organizational (I/O) Psychology or related field (e.g., applied, social, or applied social psychology, or organizational development); OR
B. Education: Completed all requirements for a Ph.D (or equivalent) in I/O Psychology or related field; OR
C. Experience: Completed 1 full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and complexity to the Federal GS-09 grade or pay band in the Federal service performing I/O Psychology duties (e.g., developing and implementing research plans; conducting complex statistical analyses; assisting with developing assessments and organizational surveys; assisting with focus groups and surveys to collect job analysis data; carrying out project activities to develop tests consistent with professional and legal requirements (e.g., the Uniform Guidelines on Employee Selection Procedures), including item development or review; and documenting research results);OR
D. Combination of Education and Experience: Less than the graduate education described in "A" or "B" and less than the experience described in "C", but have a combination of the type of education in "A" or "B" and type of experience in "C" totaling 100% of the required qualifications. To determine the combination, compute experience as a percentage of experience in "C"; determine education as a percentage of education in "A" or "B"; add the 2 percentages. Total percentages must equal at least 100%. Only graduate education exceeding 1 year (i.e., 18 semester hours) may be combined with experience.
If using education to qualify, you must submit copies of your transcript(s) to verify eligibility.
The curriculum of related degrees should include coursework such as research methods, statistical methods, and core industrial and organizational domains, including: measurement of individual differences; criterion theory and development; job and task analysis; employee selection, placement, and classification; performance appraisal and feedback; training theory, program design, and evaluation; work motivation; attitude theory; small group theory and process; leadership theory; organizational theory; and organizational development.
To meet the Intern Eligibility requirements, you must be a student accepted for enrollment or enrolled and seeking a degree (diploma, certificate, degree) in a qualifying educational institution, on a full or half-time basis (as defined by the institution in which the student is enrolled).
All Education must be accredited by an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accredited institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants may verify accreditation at the following website: Accreditation. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by OPM accordingly.
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
The U.S. Office of Personnel Management is the President's agent and advisor for the Government's human resources management systems. Our key responsibility is to ensure these systems support agencies in recruiting, hiring and retaining a merit-based, high-quality, diverse workforce necessary to meet the needs of the American people.
This Intern position is part of the Pathways Internship Program within the Office of Personnel Management, Human Resources Solutions (HRS), HR Strategy & Evaluation Solutions, Assessment & Evaluation Branch. HRS provides exceptional human resources products and services to meet the dynamic needs of the Federal government by offering customer focused, optimal solutions in staff acquisition, personnel and organizational assessment, HR strategy, leadership training, workforce planning and much more. The Assessment & Evaluation Branch includes approximately 30 industrial-organizational psychologists who deliver high quality employment and organizational assessment services to client agencies and provide cutting-edge HR management services by conducting basic, applied, and innovative research encompassing the full gamut of human capital management, with a specific focus on individual, organizational, and outcome assessment.
The Pathways Internship Program targets students accepted for enrollment or currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program in an accredited educational institution, on at least a half-time basis. At the successful conclusion of this program, you may be eligible for non-competitive conversion to a Federal career or career-conditional position.
EducationThis position has a basic education requirement listed under the Qualifications section of this announcement.
You will NOT be considered under Pathways unless you provide supporting information from your school. Documentation may be provided in letter format from your academic advisor, school counselor, admission office, etc. to prove enrollment OR it may be provided in the form of several official documents from your school such as a copy of your official transcripts and a copy of your class schedule for next semester. Copies of documents from your school website are acceptable if they contain all relevant information as listed above. Letters from advisors or other school officials must be on school letterhead.
If selected, you will be required to sign a Pathways Agreement which specifies the conditions of your employment as we've indicated in this job announcement. You must continue to meet the Pathways Program requirements throughout the duration of your appointment. To verify that you do, we will require proof of your continued enrollment and good standing each semester or grading period throughout your internship. Failure to do so will result in termination of your internship and employment.
Must be a U.S. Citizen or National (a resident of American Samoa and Swain Island).
These are 1-year Term, Excepted Service appointments that may continue if you continue to meet the eligibility requirements under the Pathways Internship Program and funding is available.
Relocation expenses will not be paid.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional similar vacancies across OPM.
If you are a veteran and you are claiming 5-point veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility.
If you are a veteran and you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form. For more information on veterans' preference (see https://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx).
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
Interns may be converted, without a break in service, to a term, career or career conditional appointment upon completion of program requirements.
To be eligible for conversion, Interns must:
- Be a United States citizen
- Complete at least 640 hours of work experience acquired through the Internship Program while enrolled as a half- or full-time degree- or certificate-seeking student
- Complete their degree or certificate requirements, within the preceding 120-day period
- Meet the qualification standards for the position to which the Intern will be converted
- Meet agency-specific requirements, as specified in the Participant's Agreement
- Perform their job successfully
In addition, students working in agencies through third-party intern providers may count up to 320 of the hours they work toward the 640 hour requirement.
Time spent under previous Internship Program appointments may count towards required work.
If converted to a permanent or term appointment, the anticipated target position will be GS-9 or GS-11 with full performance level of GS-13; however, the target position and full performance level may change based on the need of the organization at that time. Interns must meet the qualification requirements for the position to which converted.
Extensions: This appointment may be extended without further competition based on the need of the organization for the work to continue and provided the individual continues to meet the eligibility requirements.
This position will have multiple work schedules (Full Time and Part Time) as workload and school schedules allow. These are 1-year Term appointments in the Excepted Service that may be extended as a part-time/full-time Intern in the Pathways Internship Program within the U. S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM).
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Reasonable Accommodation Requests: If you believe you have a disability (i.e., physical or mental), covered by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended and Americans with Disabilities Act 1990 as amended, that would interfere with completing the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments, you will be granted the opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation in your online application. Requests for Reasonable Accommodations for the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments and appropriate supporting documentation for Reasonable Accommodation must be received prior to starting the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. Decisions on requests for Reasonable Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis. If you meet the minimum qualifications of the position, after notification of the adjudication of your request, you will receive an email invitation to complete the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. You must complete all assessments within 48 hours of receiving the URL to access the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments, if you received the link after the close of the announcement. To determine if you need a Reasonable Accommodation, please review the Procedures for Requesting a Reasonable Accommodation for Online Assessments here: (https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Reasonable_Accommodations_for_USA_Hire)
Once the application process is complete, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the job qualifications listed on this announcement. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. Qualified applicants may also be interviewed. Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Service
- Decision Making
- Interpersonal Skills
- Self Management
- Stress Tolerance
Qualified applicants will be placed in one of four groupings:
- Preference eligible having a compensable service-connected disability of 10 percent or more
- Other 10-point preference eligible
- 5-point preference eligible
- No preference eligible
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Your Resume listing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed.
- Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- If you are requesting a reasonable accommodation to the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments, submit documentation to support your request including the Reasonable Accommodation Request Form found here. https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Reasonable_Accommodations_for_USA_Hire)
- This position has a basic education requirement. You MUST include a copy of your transcripts for further consideration.
- Proof of acceptance for enrollment or enrolled and seeking a degree (diploma, certificate, degree) in a qualifying educational institution, on a full or half-time basis (as defined by the institution in which the student is enrolled). Documentation may be provided in letter format from your academic advisor, school counselor, admission office, etc. to prove enrollment OR it may be provided in the form of several official documents from your school such as a copy of your official transcripts and a copy of your class schedule for next semester. Copies of documents from your school website are acceptable if they contain all relevant information as listed above. Letters from advisors or other school officials must be on school letterhead.
- Veterans Preference Documentation, if applicable (e.g. DD-214 Member Copy 4 showing type of discharge/character of service; Current Active Duty members must submit a certification of expected discharge or release from active duty under honorable conditions dated within 120 days; SF-15 Form and related documentation; VA letter.)
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section.
Please read the entire announcement and all the instructions before you begin an application. To apply for this position, you must complete the initial online application, to include submission of the required documentation specified in the Required Documents section, and the USA Hire assessments. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 02/15/2019 to receive consideration. The application process is as follows:
- To begin the application process, click the Apply Online button.
- Answer the questions presented in the application and attach all necessary supporting documentation.
- Click the "Submit Application" button prior to 11:59 pm (ET) on the announcement closing date.
- After submitting an online application, you will be notified whether or not you are required to take additional online assessments through the USA Hire Competency Based Assessment system. This message will be delivered to you both on screen and via email notification.
- If you are asked to take the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments and/or Writing Assessment, you will be presented with a unique URL to access the USA Hire system. Access to USA Hire is granted through your USAJOBS login credentials. Be sure to review all instructions prior to beginning your USA Hire Assessments. Click here for Computer System Requirements (https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=USA_Hire_System_Requirements)
- Note, set aside at least 3 hours to take these assessments; however, most applicants complete the assessments in less time. If you need to stop the assessments and continue at a later time, you can re-use the URL sent to you via email and also found on the "Additional Application Information" page that can be located in the application record in your USAJOBS account.
- The USA Hire Writing Assessment is a timed test that could take up to one (1) hour to complete.
To verify the status of your application both during and after the announcement open period, log into your USAJOBS account: https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login. All of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The application record in your USAJOBS account provides an "Additional Application Information" page that provides information regarding the documentation you submitted and any correspondence we have sent related to this application. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
DC HR Customer Service
AddressOPM Human Resources
1900 E St., NW
Washington, DC 20415
Based on your application and your responses to the application questionnaire, you may be presented with instructions on how to access the USA Hire system to complete the online assessments. The online assessments must be completed within 48 hours following the close of this announcement. You will have the opportunity to request a testing accommodation for the assessment should you have a disability covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Your assessment results will be kept on record for one year and used toward future positions for which you might apply that require the same assessments.
We expect to make a job offer within 40 days after the closing date of the announcement. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/522983300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.