This position is located in the Security Operations Division within the Information Technology Security Office of the Department of Technology Services. As an IT Specialist (Security), the incumbent is a recognized IT security expert with a strong background in cyber-security, network security engineering, and a proven record of successful leadership in "hands on" intrusion detection discovery security activities and data analysis.Learn more about this agency
The incumbent is responsible for overseeing and participating in the management of Security Operations Center (SOC) intrusion detection shift. This work is performed by a skilled contractor cyber team, whose focus is on security event monitoring, alerting, and response as part of a shift that forms part of the Judiciary's 24/7 coverage team. The incumbent will facilitate the successful discovery of intrusion attempts and compromises through reviews and analysis of relevant event detail and summary information and must be able to synthesize data from multiple logging sources. The intrusion detection shift lead is the subject matter expert for all intrusion detection and reporting activities with oversight for their assigned shift. The incumbent provides authoritative decisions for handling incidents reported to the government. The incumbent may be asked to support the government mentoring training of Court personnel who visit the SOC to experience the work being performed. The intrusion detection shift lead acts as a point of contact for escalations to ITSO-SOC management or the Judiciary Automated Systems Incident Response Capability.
The major duties include, but are not limited to:
- Directing a contractor shift team of individuals responsible for providing Cyber monitoring, detection and reporting.
- Overseeing and coordinating the activities of shift team supporting the security of critical production environments.
- Executing Cyber emergency response procedures.
- Working closely with Court Incident Response Teams to analyze and resolve security incidents.
- Developing and maintaining technical, analytical, and practical proficiencies needed to ensure the team is successful in the discovery of intrusion attempts and compromises.
- Developing, maintaining, and reporting upon metrics to measure operational effectiveness; providing reports and statistics as required to ITSO management, as requested.
- Leading the shift team according to strategies and plans for projects/platforms, ensuring overall alignment to the IT security strategy.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/522968200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.