OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise - "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?Learn more about this agency
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
At least one position exists for a Nursing Assistant for Unit 5B at the Baltimore location of the VA Maryland Health Care System. Unit 5B is a 22-bed acute Medical/Surgical Inpatient Unit. The Nursing Assistant will care for Patients under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse. The incumbent will provide care to patients ranging from the young adult to geriatric population who are experiencing medical conditions, surgical procedures and behavior health problems.. Duties will include but will not be limited to:
- Utilizes glucose monitoring machine to receive glucose readings for veterans.
- Provides direct care for complex veterans.
- Makes observations of subtle changes in patient's condition, i.e. behavior shifts, mood, skin coloring, appetite, etc.
- Documents care given, observations and responses on appropriate tools or forms.
- Performs oral suctioning.
- Monitor and documents patient intake and output.
- Performs nursing procedures within scope of practice and according to policies and standard procedures to care for the veteran for such procedures but not limited to: enemas, colostomy care, skin care simple dressing and application of braces and prosthetic devices.
- Works on small group activities with veterans according to the patients/resident treatment plan.
- Recognizes the patients' autonomy and promotes independence by means of respect, limit setting and individualized treatment.
- Utilizes equipment to promote the veteran self-care, such as; lift equipment, Hydro sound Tubs, and Veteran/Resident Wandering System.
- Verbally provides patient information to the treatment team for inclusion in the veterans' plan of care, participates in treatment team meetings for resident care planning.
Work Schedule: Rotating Shifts, 12 hrs (day, evening, night, weekend and holidays)
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/522775500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.