This position is part of the Education Human Resources, Bureau of Indian Education. As a Human Resources Specialist (Placement) you will be responsible for a variety of administrative and technical work concerned with examinations, selection, or placement and utilization of employees to staff the Bureau of Indian Education.Learn more about this agency
Duty Location: Location will be within a Bureau of Indian Education, Education Resource Center.
As a Human Resources Specialist (Placement) GS-0201-7/9, your typical work assignments may include the following under supervision:
- Responsible for ensuring the accuracy and timely processing of all personnel and position actions.
- Assists in receiving and performing audits, and/or quality assurance on completed personnel and position actions.
- Provides technical advisory assistance to business technicians and managers.
- Advises managers and supervisors on various types of placement methods and hiring appointment authorities.
- Assists in reduction-in-force planning and execution.
- Performs salary determinations and sets pay in accordance with regulatory requirements.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
- BACKGROUND SECURITY INVESTIGATION WILL BE REQUIRED FOR ALL NEW HIRES
- APPOINTMENT MAY BE SUBJECT TO A 2 YR TRIAL OR 1 YR PROBATIONARY PERIOD
- APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED ONLINE
- VALID STATE-ISSUED DRIVERS LICENSE IS REQUIRED
- MALES BORN AFTER 12-31-59 MUST BE REGISTERED OR EXEMPT FROM SELECTIVE SERVICE.
QualificationsApplicants must meet the qualification requirements contained in the OPM Standards. For this position, they are listed below.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GS-0201-07/09 Human Resources Specialist (Placement)
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization.
GS-07: One (1) year of specialized experience that equipped me with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of this position. This experience is related to the work of the position and equivalent to at least the GS-05 level in the Federal service as described in the vacancy announcement. Examples include: performing assignments typically involves short repetitive assignments that require the knowledge of using several resources from the Office of Personnel Management, Department of the Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Bureau of Indian Education Programs, 62 BIAM Contract Education Personnel Systems, laws, policies and regulations governing human resources programs, functions, and processes, applying a variety of hiring and placement authorities such as Indian Preference, excepted service laws, regulations, policies, and standard operating procedures, provides assistance to business technicians/managers, issues referral certificates and verifying employment eligibility, performs salary determination and sets pay, conducts research and provides advisory opinion, and utilizes automated systems that support the human resources program of work.
Superior Academic Achievement is based on one of the following:
- Class standing - applicants must be in the upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision, such as the College of Liberal Arts or the School of Business Administration, based on completed courses; or
- Grade-point average (G.P.A.)-- Applicants must have a grade-point average of 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B" or better) as recorded on their official transcript, or as computed based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; or 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B+" or better) based on the average of the required courses completed in the major field or the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum: or
- Election to membership in a national scholastic honor society. Membership in a freshman honor society cannot be used to meet the requirements of this provision. (You MUST submit a copy of your transcripts to support this response)
Completed one full year of appropriate graduate level education (18 semester hours, 27 quarter hours or equivalent) in a field of study directly related to the work of this position (You MUST submit a copy of your transcripts to support this response.)
GS-09: One (1) year of specialized experience that equipped me with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of this position. This experience is related to the work of the position and equivalent to at least the GS-07 level in the Federal service as described in the vacancy announcement. Examples include: responsible for ensuring the accuracy and timely processing of all personnel and position actions under 62 BIAM Contract Education Systems, assists in receiving and performing pre-auditing, post-auditing and evaluating correctness on personnel actions, provide assistance to management in search of sound solutions to problems, advise managers and supervisors on various types of placement methods and appointments in the excepted service. Analyzes and identifies major job functions; knowledge, training, and/or education requirements on applicants, prepares vacancy announcement, applying various appointment authorities and employment regulations, issues referral certificates, verifying employment eligibility, qualifications and insures priority placement, assist in reduction-in-force planning and execution to assure compliance with statue and regulations, provides out-placement assistance to displaced employees, assists with on-site delivery and counseling.
Completed two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a masters or equivalent graduate degree as described.
A combination of successfully completed graduate level education beyond the first year of progressive graduate study, and specialized experience that together meets the qualification requirements for the position.
Only experience and education obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
Time-In-Grade: Status candidates must meet time-in-grade requirements (52 weeks at the next lower grade level).
Applicants are responsible for providing documentation that the educational requirements have been met. To qualify based on education you must submit a legible copy of your transcripts. Official transcripts are required upon selection if you qualified based on education.
Education must have been obtained from an accredited or pre-accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements if you can show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States.
For further information on creditable education visit:
EDUCATION: To qualify based on education; Applicant MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or list of courses with credit hours, major, and grade-point average or class ranking. Application materials will not be returned.
CTAP/ICTAP: Department of the Interior (DOI) Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) procedures apply in filling this vacancy. 5 CFR 330, Career Transition Assistance for Surplus and Displaced Federal Employees requires the following order of selection for this position:
a) At Bureau option, personnel actions listed in 5 CFR 330.606(b);
b) Any well-qualified SSP candidate who applies within the local commuting area (Surplus and displaced employees will be given equal consideration);
c) At Bureau option, personnel actions not subject to RPL;
d) Qualified RPL candidates in the local commuting area;
e) At Bureau discretion, any other former displaced well-qualified DOI employee, e.g. a well-qualified RPL candidate who applies from outside the local commuting area;
f) Well-qualified ICTAP applicants in the local commuting area;
g) Other outside applicants (other agencies, nonstatus, etc.);
h) To be considered well-qualified, a CTAP/ICTAP applicant must meet the basic qualification requirements with a minimum score of 85 on the Assessment Questionnaire.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 (Member Copy 4) or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form.
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service.
The Bureau of Indian Education has determined that the duties of this position are suitable scheduled, situational and for emergency telework.
STATUS CANDIDATES: Consideration will be given to Non-Indian applicants (Status or Reinstatement eligibles) in the absence of a qualified Indian Preference eligible. Applicants not entitled to Indian or Veteran's Preference must be Federal civilian employees with competitive status or former Federal civilian employees with reinstatement eligibility and must submit latest Notification of Personnel Action, SF-50B, as proof.
VETERANS EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES ACT (VEOA): Preference eligibles may apply for permanent positions (career or career-conditional appointments) under merit promotion procedures for VEOA appointments; however, veteran's preference is not a factor in these appointments. To be eligible for a VEOA appointment, a veteran must be a preference eligible OR veteran separated after 3 or more years of continuous active service performed under honorable conditions. Applicants must submit a copy of their DD-214 (Member Copy 4) for verification of eligibility. For more information about this program and to determine whether you are eligible, click here.
FORMER FEDERAL EMPLOYEES: Former Federal Employees are required to indicate whether they received a Voluntary Separation Incentive Payment (VSIP) buyout in their previous employment with the Federal government, and are required to submit a copy of the applicable Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) regarding the VSIP. The majority of individuals, who accept reemployment with the Federal government within 5 years of receiving the VSIP amount, must repay the gross amount of the separation pay prior to reemployment.
NOTE: Additional selections may be made from this announcement if identical vacancies occur within 90 days from the closing date.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Analytical & Evaluative
- Customer Service
- Information Systems
- Interpersonal Skills
- Personnel and Human Resources
- Reduction in Force
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Required Documents:
- Your resume (include the following):
- Work Experience:
- Position title
- Dates of employment (include month/year)
- Hours worked per week
- Current supervisor's name and telephone number
- Duties (Please be specific and include any accomplishments)
- References (include complete name and telephone number)
- Employer - must be with the past 5 years
- Personal - three (3)
- Most recent SF-50, "Notification of Personnel Action" showing you are/were in the competitive service and the highest grade or promotion potential held (if applying as a status candidate with current or former Federal Service)
- DD-214 (member copy 4), SF-15 Form and VA letter, or certification of expected discharge or release from active duty from Veterans for consideration under Veteran hiring authorities
- Noncompetitive appointment authority documentation, if applicable
- Career Transition Assistance Program/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program Documentation, if applicable (e.g. Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal.)?
- OF-306 (Declaration of Federal Employment): https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/OF0306.pdf
- Applicant Screening Questionnaire: https://bie.edu/cs/groups/xbie/documents/collection/idc012837.pdf
- Cover Letter, optional
- Form BIA 4432, Verification of Indian Preference for Employment (required for claiming Indian Preference). The form must be completed by the appropriate official with the federally-recognized tribe where the applicant is enrolled as a member. No other form will be accepted.
DRIVING REQUIREMENT (Required only at time of appointment): Incumbent may be required, as an incidental duty, to operate a government-owned or leased motor vehicle, in the performance of duties, therefore, a valid driver's license is required. Incumbent must have a safe driving record within the three-year period immediately preceding submittal of GSA Form 3607 and be able to meet the safe driving requirements of the Bureau of Indian Education.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
- Your resume (include the following):
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
- Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
If you are unable to apply online, require reasonable accommodation in the application process, or an applicant with a disability, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
Agency contact information
AddressEducation Human Resources
1011 Indian School Rd NW, Suite 150
Albuquerque, NM 87104-
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. After a review of your complete application is made you will be notified by email of your rating and or referral to the hiring official. If further evaluation or interviews are required you will be contacted.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/522220400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.