Hospital Education is recruiting for the Safe Patient Handling & Mobility (SPHM) Program Coordinator at the VA Connecticut Healthcare Systems. The SPHM Program Coordinator serves as educator and consultant utilizing education theory in collaboration with Patient Care Service and other services. The SPHM Program Coordinator is a registered nurse who assesses, implements and evaluates the Safe Patient Handling and Mobility Program at VACT.Learn more about this agency
The coordinator is a self-directed individual who assumes responsibility for the overall education and competency development of staff in SPHM. He/she collaborates with the interdisciplinary team, network SPHM experts, VA Safety Center, and manufacturers of patient lifting equipment to achieve the goals of an integrated program. The incumbent coordinates resources with other services and disciplines throughout the facility to assure policies, procedures, and practices related to the program are met. This individual develops, engages, and coordinates Unit Peer Leaders (UPLs) to distribute best practices throughout the facility. The SPHM Program Coordinator provides oversight of equipment selection and purchases to meet current and future needs for safe patient handling. He/she assures compliance with performance measures, Joint Commission standards and SPHM training. He/she reviews and promotes evidence-based practice for SPHM in all clinical settings. The SPHM Program Coordinator monitors and analyzes trends in employee injury and creates action plans based on the data. Responsibilities include but are not limited:
- Utilizes an evidence-based approach to improve organizational processes, systems, and outcomes at the organizational level;
- Provides leadership and coordination of the facility multidisciplinary SPHM Committee;
- Analyzes, interprets, and prioritizes ergonomic data, including employee and patient injuries related to SPHM;
- Identifies, proposes and oversees SPHM equipment to meet current and future facility needs;
- Collaborates with managers to develop a strategy for dissemination of information, education, supervision and support of the Unit-Peer-Leaders across all shifts and work areas;
- Provides guidance to medical center staff regarding SPHM through education at New Employee Orientation and annual trainings;
- Communicates and coordinates with inter-disciplinary team regarding selection of equipment, installation and maintenance with facility contracting, facilities management and other applicable services;
- Evaluates injuries to employee and patients related to SPHM in collaboration with Workman's Compensation and the Safety Office and takes remedial actions;
- Systematically evaluates and improves the quality and effectiveness of SPHM delivery throughout the facility.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
25% or less - Must travel between West Haven and Newington campus
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/522055000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.