The purpose of this position is to plan, install, configure, test, implement, and manage the mainframe systems environment in support of VA's IT architecture and business needs. The work involves planning and coordinating the installation, testing, operation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of IBM mainframe hardware and software systems within Infrastructure Operations.Learn more about this agency
The first 50 candidates who applied will be considered for referral to the selecting official. Additional candidates in increments of 50 will be referred based on hiring needs.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Virtual: This is NOT a virtual position, will be placed within a VA facility
Telework: Optional and will determined by Supervisor
Position Description Title/IT Specialist(SysAdmin) PD#: ~/179190
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
Physical Requirements: The work is sedentary. Some work may require walking and standing in conjunction with travel and attendance at meetings and conferences away from the work site. Some employees may carry light items such as papers, books, or small parts.
- Provide technical expertise to and work with customers and systems analysts/programmer personnel in all areas related to mainframe systems.
- Serve as the technical authority in IBM mainframe systems hardware, operating system (z/OS) and system software utilities, and provide support for the development and implementation of short and long-range Department Information Technology (IT) activities.
- Install data management utilities or database applications, and govern data use in such a way as to insure maximum batch throughput. Insure provision for emergency situations such as restarts and recovery of data.
- Manage the operation of mainframe hardware and software systems components; conduct functional and integration testing to insure continuing operability; provide ongoing monitoring, optimization and problem solving/tracking support; achieve recovery from system malfunctions; manage the installation and integration of system fixes, updates, and enhancements.
- Develop standards and criteria for assessing mainframe systems performance; develop and maintain performance measures; design, write, execute, and analyze benchmark programs to test proposed new hardware or system software features; plan and schedule installation of new or modified hardware, operating systems and applications hardware.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/521888100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.