***As of 1/24/2019, the closing date of this announcement has been extended until 2/1/2019***Learn more about this agency
This position is located in Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), Office of Operations (OO), Office of Information Technology (OIT). The duty location for this position is Rockville, MD.
**Applicants please note: Additional selections may be made across the Department of Health and Human Services through this vacancy announcement.**
This position is a mission critical occupation and is responsible for the analysis of system and/or security requirements, the development and implementation of mission critical applications for the agency's Information Technology operations.
As the Deputy Chief Information Officer (CIO) for OIT, you serve as a principal advisor to the CIO and other senior executives on all substantive matters pertaining to HRSA's information technology operations and security services.
Specifically, you will,
- Direct the work of Division Directors and other IT Specialists subordinates to deliver high availability IT Infrastructure and software application support.
- Develop and maintain ongoing strategic plans for enterprise IT programs that have measurable outcome objectives to ensure quality performance and service delivery to support HRSA's mission.
- Perform budgeting and contract management for IT infrastructure services.
- Establish IT governance that complies with OMB's IT Capital Investment and Control (CPIC), HRSA, HHS, and NIST regulations.
- Implement security mitigation techniques to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the organization's information, information systems, and IT infrastructure and applications in accordance with policies, procedures, security techniques, and Federal regulations.
25% or less - Up to 25% of travel may be required for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- U. S. Citizenship is required.
- All qualifications and time-in-grade requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement. Federal applicants must submit an SF-50 to show status and time-in-grade.
- Males ages 18 through 25 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- PHS Commissioned Corps applicants must submit current personnel orders.
- A one year supervisory probationary period may be required.
- Position is not in the Bargaining Unit.
- Recruitment incentives are not authorized.
- Student loan repayment incentive is not authorized.
- Background investigation is required.
QualificationsTHESE QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET BY THE CLOSING DATE: 02/01/2019
Do not cut and paste the duties, specialized experience, or occupational assessment questionnaire from this announcement into your resume as that will not be considered a demonstration of your qualifications for this position.
To qualify for this position you must have IT related experience and/or training that demonstrates that you possess each of the following four competencies:
1. Attention to Detail - am thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail;
2. Customer Service - Work with clients and customers to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; know about available products and services; am committed to providing quality products and services;
3. Oral Communication - Express information to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information; make clear and convincing oral presentations; listen to others, attend to nonverbal cues, and respond appropriately;
4. Problem Solving - identify problems; determine accuracy and relevance of information; use sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
In addition, to meeting the four IT related competencies in order to qualify for this position at the GS-15 level, your resume must clearly demonstrate that you have one full year of specialized experience comparable in difficulty and responsibility to at least the GS-14 level in the federal service. Examples of qualifying experience include the following types of tasks performed on a regular and recurring basis:
- Designing, evaluating, planning, implementing and maintaining technically complex and secure 24x7 network and hosting infrastructure;
- Overseeing an organization's IT Helpdesk activities to ensure that customers' needs are met in a timely manner;
- Developing IT business cases and procedures for evaluating capital IT investments using Office of Management and Budget's (OMB) Capital Planning and Investment Control (CPIC) guidance;
- Developing secure custom software applications to meet an organization's business needs; and
- Implementing secure IT technologies that adhere to National Institutes and Standards of Technology (NIST) security requirements.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; community; student; social). If such experience is on a part-time basis, you must provide the average number of hours worked per week as well as the beginning and ending dates of the experience so it can be fully credited.
Current status candidates must meet Time-in-Grade (TIG) by the closing date of this announcement. To allow us to verify that you meet TIG requirements, provide any of the following SF-50s:
- Competitive or Career-ladder promotion to your highest grade (this does not include 120 day temporary promotions)
- With-In-Grade (WGI) increase at your highest grade (this does not include quality step increases (QSIs)
- Competitive career/career-conditional appointment to your highest grade.
- SF-50 at your highest grade held, that is at least one year older than the announcement closing date of 02/01/2019.
Not sure which SF-50 to submit? Check out our video... Go here to watch the video on the SF50s to submit in your application package.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
HHS is an equal opportunity employer. Selection for this position will be based solely on merit without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, political affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, marital or family status or other differences.
Click here for information on "Federal hiring for individuals with disabilities".
- Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
- E-Verify: HRSA participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their social security numbers.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Creditable Service: A newly appointed or reappointed employee may receive service credit for annual leave for prior work experience directly related to the duties of the position being filled. The use of this service credit is at the discretion of the selecting official and must be finalized prior to selectee's entrance on duty. For more information, please click here.
- Financial Disclosure: This position requires you to file a public or confidential financial disclosure report prior to receiving a final offer letter as well as within 30 days of your appointment. This will require you to report information such as recent sources of income, financial interests you hold, and outside activities you participate in, as well as similar information from a spouse or any dependent children. If you have questions, please contact your HRSA Ethics Advisor at AskHR@hrsa.gov.
Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): Click here
HRSA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. Telework eligibility may be discussed during the interview process.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, a review of resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
LEADERSHIP - Inspires, motivates & guides others toward goal accomplishment; coaches & mentors subordinates; adapts leadership styles to a variety of situations; models high standards of honesty, integrity, trust, openness, & respect for individuals by applying these values to daily behaviors.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT - Knowledge of the principles, methods, or tools for developing scheduling, coordinating, and managing projects and resources, including monitoring and inspecting costs, work, and contractor performance.
INFORMATION SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATION - Understands and demonstrates knowledge of applicable information systems including concepts, principles, and practices related to their use and application.
INFORMATION SYSTEMS SECURITY - Ensures the confidentiality, integrity, availability, reliability, and non-repudiation of the organization's information contained in and transmitted from systems and networks by implementing security laws, regulations, policies, standards, and control techniques.
TO PREVIEW THE OCCUPATIONAL ASSESSMENT QUESTIONNAIRE, please click on the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10401651
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact either HRSA's Office of Human Resources at
or by email: email@example.com or HRSA's Reasonable Accommodation programs at (301) 443-3780 or by email: RA-Request@hrsa.gov. You must contact the Reasonable Accommodations Program prior to the closing date of this announcement to receive assistance. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. Hours of operation: Monday through Friday 7:30AM to 4:00PM EST (except Federal holidays). (301) 443-2538
Submission of a resume alone is not a complete application. To apply for this position, you must provide a complete online Application Package that includes:
- A current Resume - For resume writing guidance, please visit USAJOBS Resources Center or view their video tutorial. If you use your own resume, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that include beginning and ending dates (month/year) for paid and non-paid work experience, including the average number of hours worked per week for each job title listed. You must also ensure that the duties performed are clearly matched to each period of employment. If we cannot determine that you have performed qualifying duties for at least one year, then you may be rated ineligible.
- A complete Assessment Questionnaire
- Other supporting documents to be submitted with application:
- Veterans' Preference Documentation, if applicable, a DD-214 Member 4 copy, which shows type of discharge. If still active, provide an official Statement of Service. Any other documentation such as VA letter documenting disability, SF-15, and any other required supporting documentation based your veterans' preference claim.
- SF-50: Federal applicants must submit an SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) that shows status and time-in-grade, and its full performance level. If you are an HHS employee you may obtain a copy of your SF-50 from eOPF. If you have separated from Federal Government employment, you may obtain a copy of your SF-50 via: National Personnel Records Center, Annex, 1411 Boulder Boulevard, Valmeyer, IL, 62295; FAX
; Email CPR; or visit the National Archives Website. (618) 935-3014
- Personnel Orders: PHS Commissioned Corps Officers must submit a copy of latest personnel orders in lieu of SF-50.
- Peace Corps volunteers must submit a copy of your "Description of Service (DOS)" in lieu of the SF-50. If you do not have one you should email the Peace Corps Office of Volunteer and PSC Financial Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are currently serving in a pay banded position, please include a copy of your pay band chart with your application.
- College transcripts (if the position has a positive education requirement, or you are qualifying on the basis of education).
For Résumé and Application Tips visit the USAJOBS Resource Center.
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 02/01/2019.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 02/01/2019 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
- It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Applicants please note: To assist us with an expeditious application review process, please do not submit any of the documentation listed below unless specifically requested in the announcement. The following documents are not required and do not need to be submitted with your resume:
- Diplomas of any type (When education documents are required, you must submit unofficial transcripts)
- Letters of Recommendation, Reference, or Congratulations, etc.
- General training documents or certificates of completed training (Except Contract Specialist positions when requested in the announcement)
- Any documents with a picture of the applicant (Except medical or nursing licenses when requested in the announcement)
- Awards documentation including SF-50s for Awards
- Performance Appraisals (Only ICTAP/CTAP eligible applicants need to submit their latest performance appraisal)
- Evaluations of any type
- Writing Samples
- Executive Core Qualifications Statements (ECQs)
Agency contact information
AskHR HRSA Helpdesk
AddressHealth Resources and Services Administration
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD 20857
Once your online questionnaire is received you will be sent an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. We will update your status after each key stage in the application process has been completed. You may also check the status of your application through your USAJobs profile. check the status
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/521841000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.