THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 5 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.Learn more about this agency
This National Guard position is for a IT SPECIALIST (SYSADMIN), Position Description Number T5254000 and is part of the AR ARNG DCSG6 DCSIM OFFICE HQ, National Guard.
1. Serves as a systems administrator for the less complex systems involving a limited number of servers operating on a single operating system. Responsible for implementing and troubleshooting system performance. Reports unresolved problems to a higher-graded System Administrator. Assists other system administrators in troubleshooting problems and implementing changes on the more complex systems. Modifies, tests and implements system backup and recovery strategies for assigned system. Diagnoses system failures to isolate source of problems between equipment, system software, and application programs. Modifies code, devises temporary fixes, documents problems and advises high higher-level System Administrator or other outside party.
2. Interacts with peers and vendors to resolve hardware and software problems. Provides technical assistance to personnel involved in system design, programming, hardware selection and adapting commercially available software to meet the needs of the customer. Advises other users on characteristics of system software.
3. Participates in the analysis of requests for new or modified applications. Assists in analyzing and evaluating proposed changes to multiple computer systems. Considers factors such as compatibility with standard systems, conversion or implementation costs, and impact on existing equipment. As appropriate, sets up and tests products on equipment. Assists in determining equipment demands, number and kinds of records, files, communications and procedures necessary to obtain, and organize information and interfaces with other systems.
4. Provides systems support on personal computer, mini-computers or main frames. Assists in the installation and configuration of hardware and software applications. Schedules the installation of new or modified hardware, operating systems, and software applications. Manages the flow of data between various tiers of the architecture. Writes program scripts to facilitate backup and recovery procedures.
5. Assists in security management to ensure only authorized (personnel) access to computer systems. Performs security management in accordance with National Guard Bureau (NGB) regulations and state policies. Reviews and implements local policies regarding system access, network rights, and physical access to systems and equipment. Implements state policy relating to systems storage requirements.
6. Performs other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/521280100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.