Mission StatementLearn more about this agency
The NRO is the U.S. Government agency in charge of designing, building, launching and maintaining America's intelligence satellites. The NRO provides reconnaissance information to the Intelligence Community and the DoD warfighters. For more information see: http://www.nro.gov
NRO is accepting applications from both Federal Government employees and U.S. citizens for this position.
FOR CURRENT CIVILIAN EMPLOYEES APPLYING PLEASE SEE THE QUALIFICATIONS SECTION BELOW.
As a CONTRACT SPECIALIST you will be responsible for the following duties:
- Responsible for a substantive and significant mission program i.e. high dollar acquisition that involve multiple complex dimensions requiring the assignment of multiple senior contracting officers and/or technical specialist.
- Acquisition Planning in consultation with and in an advisory capacity to a program manager , develops procurement.
- Determines the adequacy of acquisition documentation and prepares contractual instruments in compliance with FAR (Federal Acquisition Regulations).
- Advise program officials of legal regulatory requirements, funding and acquisition for major subsystems.
- In coordination with team members and program technical officers monitor contractor performances throughout the period of performance, to include cost, technical performance, scope and administrative changes.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a US citizen
- Male born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service http://www.sss.gov
- Resume and supporting documents received by 11:59PM EST will be considered
- This is a Drug Testing designated position
- Position is a (DCIPS) position in the Excepted Service under U.S.C. 1601
- Must obtain/maintain Critical Sensitive TS/SCI clearance w/polygraph
- WORK SCHEDULE: Full Time
- OVERTIME: Occasionally
- TOUR OF DUTY: Flexible
- PCS (Permanent Change of Station): Not Authorized.
- FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT (FLSA): Exempt
- FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE: Required
- TELEWORK ELIGIBILITY: This position is NOT telework eligible
- SELECTIVE SERVICE REQUIREMENT: For more information please visit: https://www.sss.gov/
QualificationsThis position is a Senior Level DCIPS position. DCIPS Senior Level positions include GG-14. The NRO is only accepting applications from both Federal Government employees and non-Federal Government employees for this position. Federal government employees, who currently are GS/GG-14, or equivalent may ONLY apply for lateral reassignment at their current grade level, step, and salary.
This position has a Basic Requirement for the 1102 series:
A bachelor's degree from an accredited educational institution authorized to grant baccalaureate degrees; AND at least 24 semester hours of study from an accredited institution of higher education in any combination of the following fields: accounting, business, finance, law, contracts, purchasing, economics, industrial management, marketing, quantitative methods, or organization and management obtained within or in addition to the bachelor's degree
Graduate education in one or a combination of fields listed above. Current civilian personnel in DoD, who occupied GS-1102 positions or contracting positions with authority to award or administer contracts above the simplified acquisition threshold in an Executive Department on or before September 30, 2000, are exempt from meeting this requirement. Current civilian personnel in DoD, in any occupational series, who occupied a similar occupational specialty to the GS-1102 while serving in the military on or before September 30, 2000, are also exempt from meeting this requirement.
*NOTE: Failure to provide transcripts will result in you being rated ineligible for this position.
Foreign Education: For further information, click on the following link: FOREIGN EDUCATION
For further information, click on the following link:
The experience described in your resume will be evaluated and screened based on the Department of Defense qualifications standard. See: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/DoD_Qualification_Standard_For_GS-1102.pdf for DoD 1102 qualification standards, competencies and specialized experience needed to perform the duties of the position as described in the MAJOR DUTIES and QUALIFICATIONS sections of this announcement by 01/24/2019
Applicant must have directly applicable experience that demonstrates the possession of the knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies necessary for immediate success in the position. Qualifying experience may have been acquired in any public or private sector job, but will clearly demonstrate past experience in the application of the particular competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to successfully perform the duties of the position. Such experience is typically in or directly related to the work of the position to be filled. Experience must be reflected in your resume.
Specialized experience required for this position is:
1. Serving as a Procuring Contracting Officer (PCO) on highly classified and/or multimillion dollar contracts.
2. Monitor contracting officers' standard operating procedures to ensure compliance with Public Laws, acquisition regulations, and other appropriate guidance.
3. Coordinating and controlling all contract, acquisition and procurement aspects of highly complex major defense space systems programs.
4. Facilitate and coordinate numerous pieces and phases of the acquisition process in order to achieve program office goals including mission and technical requirements.
Specifically you will be evaluated on the following competencies:
1. Contracting and Acquisition
2. Defense Acquisition Programs and Policies
3. Advanced Cost and/or Price Analysis
DAWAI: THIS IS A CRITICAL ACQUISITION POSITION (CAP). Unless specifically waived by the appropriate Component official (i.e. the Director of Acquisition Career Management for the component. the Service Acquisition Executive, or the Service Secretary) or if the Employee is "grandfathered" under 10 U.S.C. 1736 (1), the following are statutorily mandated requirements (Reference: 10 U.S.C. 1733 and 1737).
- Selectee must be a member of an Acquisition Corps at the time of appointment.
- Selectee must execute, as a condition of appointment, a written agreement to remain in Federal service in this position for at least three years. In signing such agreement, the employee does not forfeit any employment rights, nor does such alter any other terms or conditions of employment.
Please review the General Application Information and Definitions at: DOD GEN APP INFO
Substitution of education may not be used in lieu of specialized experience for this grade level.
This position is a Senior Level DCIPS position. DCIPS Senior Level positions include GG-14. The NRO is only accepting applications from both Federal Government employees and non-Federal Government employees for this position. Federal government employees, who currently are GS/GG-14, or equivalent may ONLY apply for lateral reassignment at their current grade level, step, and salary.
All current and former civilian Federal employees must submit a copy of your latest SF50 (Notification of Personnel Action) showing your tenure, grade and step, salary, and type of position occupied (i.e., Excepted or Competitive); or similar Notification of Personnel Action documentation, i.e., Transcript of Service, Form 1150, etc.
VETERANS PREFERENCE CURRENT OR FORMER FEDERAL
In accordance with DoD Instructions 1400.25 Volume 2005, veterans preference is not required to be applied when considering candidates with prior Federal competitive or excepted service who have completed a probationary or trial period and have not been separated for cause. Therefore, veterans preference will not be applied to applicants with current federal service, or former federal civilian service meeting the above criteria.
Re-employed Annuitant: This position does not meet criteria for re-employed annuitant. The DoD criteria for hiring Re-employed Annuitants can be found at:
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Programs: This program applies to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: 1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria; 2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 85 or above; and 3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. For more information:
Please review the General Application Information and Definitions at:
General Application Information
- Applicants selected from this announcement may be required to serve a two-year trial period.
- If selected, Federal employees currently serving in the competitive service must acknowledge that they will voluntarily leave the competitive service by accepting an offer of employment for a DCIPS excepted service positions.
- If selected, NON-DCIPS candidates must acknowledge in writing that the position they have been selected for is in the excepted service and covered by DCIPS.
- Selection under this appointment authority does not confer civil service competitive status.
- All applicants must meet qualifications and eligibility criteria by the closing date of the announcement.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills and abilities required of this position. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Résumé: If multiple resumes are submitted by an applicant, only the last resume submitted will be reviewed for the qualifications and referred for selection consideration if eligible.
Transcripts: REQUIRED--We accept unofficial transcripts, as long as they contain the applicant's name, the name of the school, the date and degree that was awarded, and the list of classes and credits earned. Transcripts must be received in this office by 11:59PM EST on 01/24/2019in order to be considered.
Current or former federal employees must provide a copy of your latest SF-50 showing series and grade.
Employees Serviced by DLA: Civilian Federal employees who receive human resources servicing through the Defense Logistics Agency DO NOT need to submit supporting documentation if applying through merit promotion. Your record in Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF) will be used to verify your eligibility. It is your responsibility to ensure the required documents are in your eOPF for verification purposes. If your documents are not in eOPF, you must submit them to the announcement you are applying for at time of application. Failure to submit all of the documents on time will result in automatic disqualification.
If selected, additional documentation may be required prior to appointment.
- Additional documents you may be required to submit vary based on what authority you are using to apply (i.e., applying for one of the categories such as a veteran, a current or former permanent Federal employee.)
PLEASE REVIEW the following LINK for additional documents you need to provide or refer to the eligiblity you select in the application process. REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package as described in REQUIRED DOCUMENTS.
Click 'Apply Online' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
1. Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire and upload required documents.
2. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application.
3. Applications must be received by the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To review the status of an application through USAJOBS:
1. Log into your USAJOBS account
2. Click Application Status within your profile to expand your application
3. Locate the job announcement and click the more information link under the Status column for this position. You will be routed to Application Manager. The Details tab displays by default. The Details tab displays comprehensive information about the selected Application Package including: assessment(s) and the status, supporting documents and their status, correspondence sent to you by the hiring agency, and your application processing status.
Please review the General Application Information and Definitions at: http://www.dla.mil/Portals/104/Documents/Careers/downloads/DoDGenAppInfo.pdf
Agency contact information
NRO Servicing Team
AddressNational Reconnaissance Office
14675 Lee Road
Chantilly, VA 20151
Once you successfully complete the application process, you will receive a notification of receipt. Your application package will be reviewed to ensure you meet the basic eligibility and qualifications requirements, and you will receive a notification. A review will be made of your online questionnaire and the documentation you submitted to support your responses. A list of qualified applicants will be created and sent to the selecting official. All applicants reviewed and/or referred will receive a notification letter.
The selecting official may choose to conduct interviews, and once the selection is made, you will receive a notification of the decision.
*NOTE: If you submit a resume but no questionnaire, you cannot be considered for the position. If you submit a questionnaire but no resume, you cannot be considered for the position. Your application will be appropriately documented and you will be removed from further competition against this announcement.
REGARDING INTERVIEWS: Interviews may be required for this position. Accommodations may be made to conduct telephonic interviews to preclude travel hardships for applicants. Note: Declining to be interviewed or failure to report for a scheduled interview will be considered as a declination for further consideration for employment against this vacancy.
The National Reconnaissance Office provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the point of contact for this job announcement. Your requests for reasonable accommodation will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.
This announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/521240800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.