Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below for IMPORTANT additional information.Learn more about this agency
The primary purpose of this position is to provide overall management, supervision and technical advice; relate user requirements to existing technology.
- Perform work involved in developing, refining and complying with telecommunications systems planning and policy direction including short and/or long-range planning.
- Develop planning documentation, review requests for communication services, prepare budgetary justifications, coordinate the allocation of resources, design networks/systems.
- Prepare/review equipment and facility specifications, monitor/resolve technical communications problems, and/or conduct operational acceptance tests.
- Review plans and specifications for adequate analysis and justification of requirements, realistic cost estimates, and implementation dates.
- Considering supporting requirements such as scheduling deliveries, availability of installation and test personnel, site preparation, and similar concerns.
- Test and implement systems. Prepare justification for new systems or improvements.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- Please read this Public Notice in its entirety prior to submitting your application for consideration.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov
- Total salary varies depending on location of position
- PCS expenses if authorized will be paid IAW JTR and Air Force Regulations
- Recruitment incentives may be authorized
- Position may be subject to random drug testing
- Employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, to include evenings, weekends and/or holidays
- Shift work and emergency overtime may be required
- Employee must maintain current certifications
- A security clearance may be required
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- Per National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of fiscal year (FY) 2017. Section 1111 modifies 5 United States Code (U.S.C.) 3326; Veterans who are retiring within 180 days of appointment effective date may require a 180 day waiver package
- This position is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program
- Position may be subject to Administrative Careers with America (ACWA) Assessment or a validated alternative assessment instrument (Only if needed for an ACWA position)
QualificationsQualifications SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:
GS-05: At least 3 years of General Experience with 1 year equivalent to at least a GS-4. This experience might include work assignments consisting of a series of specific and related tasks; working strict adherence to specific and detailed guidelines that cover all aspects of assignments, consulting with supervisor or higher-graded specialists. Experience may have been gained in connection in evaluating, analyzing, developing, managing, or improving communications systems, procedures, and requirements that demonstrated knowledge of current developments and trends in communications concepts and technology, OR successfully completed a full 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree.
GS-07: One year specialized experience equivalent to the next lower qualifying pay band or other equivalent pay systems, GS-05. Experience may have been gained in tracking status of ancillary training of unit members and schedules recurring training; participating in special projects that directly impacts the communications readiness of the organization, OR successfully completed 1 full year of graduate level education, OR superior academic achievement.
GS-09: One year specialized experience equivalent to the next lower qualifying pay band or other equivalent pay systems, GS-07, which has equipped me with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Experience may have been gained in working with management in determining the type and number of personnel and/or equipment needed to support the mission; managing all deployable and fixed base communications equipment issues to ensure each tasked component is technical and operationally ready to meet tasked missions, OR master's or equivalent graduate degree, OR 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree, OR LL.B. or J.D., if related.
GS-11 One year specialized experience equivalent to the next lower qualifying pay band or other equivalent pay systems, GS-09. Examples of specialized experience include: evaluating, analyzing, developing, managing, or improving communications systems, procedures, etc., reviewing, analyzing and resolving difficult and complex technical problems involving systems compatibility, both installation-wide and external interoperability, circuits, switches, distribution, satellite linkages, and networking, and demonstrating a wide range of communications concepts, principles, and practices to accomplish work processes through the use of telecommunications devices, methods, services, and facilities, OR Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree, OR 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree, OR LL.M., if related.
GS-12: One year specialized experience equivalent to the next lower qualifying pay band or other equivalent pay systems, GS-11. Examples of creditable specialized experience include: Plans and develops methods, procedures, policies, and techniques governing command wide decisions on telecommunication system.
GS-13: One year specialized experience equivalent to the next lower qualifying pay band or other equivalent pay systems, GS-12. Examples of creditable specialized experience include: Experience in evaluating, analyzing, developing, managing, or improving communications systems,procedures, and requirements that demonstrated knowledge of current developments and trends in communications concepts and technology. In-depth knowledge of national and international policies, directives and other regulatory material affecting spectrum management in order to ensure Air Force compliance with national and international level rules and regulations.
GS-14: One year specialized experience equivalent to the next lower qualifying pay band or other equivalent pay systems, GS-13. Experience which involved serving as the expert technical advisor and/or lead project, establishing, revising or reviewing policies, procedures, mission objectives and organization design of the staff, as necessary to eliminate work problems or barriers to mission accomplishment, promote team building, and implement quality improvements.
GS-15: One year specialized experience equivalent to the next lower qualifying pay band or other equivalent pay systems, GS-14. Experience which involved serving as the expert technical advisor and/or lead project; establishing, revising, or reviewing policies, procedures, mission objectives, and organization design for the staff; directing, coordinate, and overseeing work through subordinate supervisor; serve as the focal point in resolving conflicting converging requirements planning/programming.
OR To view qualifying educational requirements and/or combination of education and specialized experience click on the following link: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/#url=GS-ADMIN
AND Click on the following link to view occupational requirements for this position: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0300/telecommunicationsseries-0391/
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Knowledge of a wide range of wireless communications theories, concepts, principles, practices, procedures, policies, standards, operational requirements.
2. Knowledge of operational and performance characteristics of wireless communications to develop procedures/policies/practices for local use.
3. Knowledge of performance characteristics of wireless communications equipment, systems, services, and transmission media to evaluate devices, proposals, and approaches.
4. Knowledge of associated methods and techniques such as contracting procedures/legal requirements, cost analyses, and budgets.
5. Knowledge of basic electronics theory and operating principles, the application of existing and planned technology to communications requirements, equipment interoperability and compatibility.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY: You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
For Direct Hire (DHA) Positions:
This is a Direct Hire Public Notice, under this recruitment procedure applications will be accepted for each location/ installation identified in this Public Notice and selections are made for vacancies as they occur. There may or may not be actual/projected vacancies at the time you submit your application.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated in the "Highly Qualified" or "Best Qualified" Category on the rating criteria for this vacancy. You must submit a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Temporary and Term Appointments: If you are selected for a temporary or term position in the competitive service, your appointment may be extended to the maximum period allowed by law without further competition. Additionally, if you are serving on a term appointment in the competitive service, you may be converted to a career or career-conditional appointment without further competition. NOTE: Current federal civilian employees may apply for this position and if selected, a break in service of at least 3 days may be required prior to appointment to this position.
Selective Service: Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information, click here.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
Tax Law Impact for PCS: On 22-Dec-2017, Public Law 115-97 - the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 suspended qualified moving expense deductions along with the exclusion for employer reimbursements and payments of moving expenses effective 01-Jan-2018 for tax years 2018 through 2025. The law made taxable certain reimbursements and other payments, including driving mileage, airfare and lodging expenses, en-route travel to the new duty station, and temporary storage of those items. The Federal Travel Regulation Bulletin (FTR) 18-05 issued by General Services Administration (GSA) has authorized agencies to use the Withholding Tax Allowance (WTA) and Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA) to pay for "substantially all" of the increased tax liability resulting from the "2018 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" for certain eligible individuals. For additional information on WTA/RITA allowances and eligibilities, please visit: https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/FTR%20Bulletin%2018_05%20Relocation%20Allowances_0.pdf
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application for this Public Notice:
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Resume - must include beginning and ending month and year for each employment period
- Transcripts - if you are basing your qualifications on education or if the position requires education, you must submit copies of your transcripts
- Registration/License - active, current registration/license if applicable for the position
- Veterans' Preference - If you are claiming veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD Form 214, which must include character of service or a Statement of Service/Proof of Service which must include service dates and character of service. In addition, if claiming 10-point preference you must submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces (or documentation of Purple Heart, if applicable) and a SF 15 (Application for 10-point veteran preference).
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 12/31/2019.
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10382175
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Application button at the end of the process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications). If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent."
- It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOT modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Agency contact information
Total Force Service Center
550 C Street W
JBSA Randolph AFB, TX 78150
After you submit your application, you will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required.
Your application will remain active through the open period of this Public Notice. Once this Public Notice closes, you must reapply.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/520728000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.