THIS POSITION IS BEING FILLED UNDER THE EXPEDITED HIRING AUTHORITY (EHA) FOR DEFENSE ACQUISITION WORKFORCE POSITIONS IAW 10 USC § 1705(g).Learn more about this agency
About the Position: The U.S. Army CERDEC Space and Terrestrial Communications Directorate (S&TCD) develops and integrates technology and architectures that enable and secure tactical networks as well as hand-held and platform-mounted Soldier communications for terrestrial and satellite-based systems.
The incumbent of this job is the Senior Scientific Technical Manager for Integrated Networks, US Army Research, Development and Engineering Command (RDECOM), Communications, Electronics, Research Development, and Engineering Center (CERDEC), Space & Terrestrial Communications Directorate (S&TCD). Incumbent is responsible for providing technical area leadership and conducting external engagements within the Army, the Joint Services, the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD), and with industry and academia for the complex theoretical applied research and development programs associated with Integrated Networks.
Responsibilities include the development of new concepts and programs, the creation or identification of new or novel solutions to unique and unmet needs, and the identification of important and relevant new discoveries, all to meet military needs.
The technical domain for which the individual is responsible is characterized by the breadth, complexity, and importance to the advancement of both basic science and the national defense.
50% or less - Up to 50% business travel may be required
Conditions of Employment
- This position requires the incumbent be able to obtain and maintain a determination of eligibility for a Top Secret security clearance Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) for the duration of employment.
- This position is a Testing Designated Position (TDP) subject to the applicant testing and random drug testing. Tentatively selected applicants will be required to sign DA Form 5019 requiring participation in random drug testing.
- This position requires the incumbent to submit a Financial Disclosure Statement, OGE-450, upon entering the position and annually thereafter.
- This is a Critical Acquisition Position. Selectee must be an Acquisition Corps member at the time of selection or have been granted a waiver. Selectee must execute a written agreement to remain in Federal service in the position for at least 3yrs.
- This position has an acquisition certification requirement. The selectee must meet position requirements for certification at Level III in the acquisition career field of Engineering within 24 months of entrance on duty.
QualificationsWho May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social).
You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application.
Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as work that involves:
1) Domain expertise in Integrated Networks as evidenced by reputation and stature in area related to the work of the position, publications, awards, citations, patents and/or other relevant professional recognition (such as technical papers accepted at a professional conference and/or critically peer reviewed documents. AND
2) Expertise researching and/or developing innovative solutions to wide variety of Integrated Networks scientific and technology research needs or problems. AND
3) Proficiency in organizational networking through exchange and influence of technical knowledge to the community. My resume lists any national/international committees on which I have served (including my role for each), my professional affiliations and networks, and my participation in professional conferences, symposia, etc.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- Creativity and Innovation
- Planning and Evaluating
- Strategic Thinking
- Technical Competence
OPM Established 800 Series Basic Education Requirement:
Successful completion of a full four-year professional engineering curriculum leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in engineering in an accredited college or university. The curriculum included differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics. OR
Successful completion of a full four-year professional engineering curriculum leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in engineering from an accredited college or university that has an engineering curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). OR
Successfully passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Exam (formerly known as the Engineer-in-Training or EIT), or the written test required for professional registration administered by the Boards of Engineering Examiners in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico. Have completed all the requirements for a bachelor's degree in engineering technology (BET) from an accredited college or university that included 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences, or have completed a BET from an ABET accredited program. OR
Registered as a Professional Engineer in the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, or any State in the United States. The registration is based on a written examination given by the State Board. OR
A combination of at least four years of college level education, training, and/or technical experience that included successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences, including the courses listed in the paragraph above. Course work completed is fully acceptable toward the requirements of a professional engineering curriculum. OR
Successfully completed a four-year curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in engineering technology or in a related scientific curriculum such as physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology; and, have at least one year of professional engineering experience under the guidance and supervision of a professional engineer. **NOTE: If you fall in this category you MUST submit a memorandum on organization letterhead from the professional engineering supervisor you worked under. This memo MUST include the following: the supervisor's name, pay plan-series-grade, dates under his/her supervision and their engineering number. The body of the memo must annotate the engineering duties you performed at the next lower grade level of the position being recruited for and the duration of your experience. Failure to provide this documentation may result in an ineligible rating.** OR
Completion of an engineering degree at a foreign college or university and the courses have been accepted for advanced credit in engineering by an accredited college or university in the United States, or an organization recognized for specializing in the evaluation of foreign education has stated that education is equivalent to a professional engineering program at an accredited college in the United States. You will submit proof of this acceptance or evaluation with your application.
OPM Established 1550 Series Basic Education Requirement:
Successful completion of a full four-year professional computer science degree from an accredited college or university. OR
Successful completion of a full four-year professional curriculum from an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's with 30 semester hours in a combination of mathematics, statistics, and computer science. (At least 15 of the 30 semester hours must have included any combination of statistics and mathematics that included differential and integral calculus.)
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Three year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- This is an Army Acquisition, Logistics and Technology Workforce position. Selectees must meet position requirements for certification at Level III in the Acquisition Career Field S (Engineering) within 24 months of entrance on duty.
- Army Acquisition Corp (AAC) membership is required prior to appointment to a Critical Acquisition Position (CAP). Information on AAC membership may be found at http://asc.army.mil/. Individuals with questions may contact an Acquisition Career Manager (ACM) for assistance.
- This position requires you to submit a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE450) upon entry, and annually thereafter.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 16 position.
- All candidates who meet the basic qualification requirements will be considered. Subject to proof of AAC membership, AAC members from other services will be accepted by Army without additional review. Army Acquisition, Logistics and Technology (AL&T) Workforce applicants must have an Acquisition Career Record Brief (ACRB) on file in the Career Acquisition Personnel and Position Management Information System (CAPPMIS).
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- When you perform a Civilian Permanent Change of Station (PCS) with the government, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers the majority of your entitlements to be taxable. Visit https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/FTR%20Bulletin%2018_05%20Relocation%20Allowances_0.pdf for more information.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Permanent Change of Station (PCS) allowances may be authorized, subject to the provisions of the Joint Travel Regulations and an agency determination that a PCS move is in the Government Interest.
- This position has an education requirement, therefore, Official college or university transcript (or copies) MUST BE submitted to be considered eligible.
- This position is covered under an alternative personnel system known as the Science and Technology Reinvention Laboratory Management Demonstration Project at the United States Army Communications-Electronics Research, Development and Engineering Center (CERDEC) Community. The Demonstration replaces GS grade levels with occupational families and pay bands. The salary range of the position being filled will not be decreased with the change to pay bands. This position, Interdisciplinary Engineer/Scientist (SSTM), DB-05, incorporates GS-15 step 1 through above the GS-15 step 10 grade and salary levels. The full-performance level of this position is DB-05.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- This position has an individual occupational requirement that does not allow for substitution of education for experience. If you meet this requirement based on education you MUST submit a copy of your transcript with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. See: Transcripts and Licenses
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on01/14/2019 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10379058).
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
- Additional information on how to complete the online application process and submit your online application may be found on the USA Staffing Applicant Resource Center.
Agency contact information
Army Applicant Help Desk
AddressAG-APF-W4G8AA US ARMY COMM & ELCTRS RDEC
DO NOT MAIL
Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 21005
If you have questions regarding this job posting please visit https://portal.chra.army.mil/hr_public?id=form_public&sys_id=-1&table=u_application_inquiry_staging and complete the online submission form. To expedite the process please include the Job announcement number, which can be found at the top, right hand side of the job announcement.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/520575600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.