The Deputy Assistant Inspector General (DAIG) for the Special Reviews and Evaluations position is located within the Office of Special Reviews and Evaluations (SRE), Office of Inspector General (OIG), Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The SRE office provides the Inspector General (IG) with an alternative mechanism to traditional audit inspections and evaluations, and investigative disciplines to assess Department programs and activities.Learn more about this agency
As the Deputy Assistant Inspector General (DAIG) for Special Reviews and Evaluations (SRE), you will be responsible for the executive leadership, direction, planning and conduct of inspections, evaluations, and special reviews into issues of fraud, waste, misconduct, and program effectiveness in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). You are responsible for exercising executive leadership, direction, and supervision over inspectors, program and management analysts, investigative counsel, and support personnel assigned to SRE. The position operates within the provisions of the Inspector General Act of 1978, as amended. SRE work includes sensitive liaison activities with other DHS Components, other federal agencies, the news media, legislative aides, attorneys, the Congress, and members of the public on a regular basis. Typical responsibilities may also include:
- Comprehensive executive management, strategic planning, and financial functions essential to effective SRE operations, and recognizing and referring matters to the Assistant Inspector General for Special Reviews and Evaluations (AIG-SRE), which may require review to assure uniformity within DHS OIG.
- Assisting the AIG-SRE with strategically plan for SRE, providing alternative plans of action as necessary; and setting up SRE operational policies and procedures. Establishing internal controls for SRE; establishing work priorities and objectives for SRE staff members; and providing guidance on complex projects.
- Providing executive leadership and direction for a full range of inspections, evaluations, and special review activities and functions. Leading the DHS OIG Whistleblower Protection Unit, Special Reviews Group, and other SRE units or teams. Ensuring DHS OIG meets all its statutory requirements with respect to whistleblowers.
- Serving as an OIG representative with other agencies on inspections, evaluations, and special reviews involving departmental programs, operations, and services. Working closely with other OIGs and the Council of the Inspectors General on Integrity and Efficiency (CIGIE) to foster inspection activities.
- Identifying and integrating current issues and events into the planning and selection of projects for SRE inspections, evaluations, and special reviews. Works with and through the OIG and DHS policy-making and implementation structures to help shape, formulate, and recommend substantial and significant program policies and changes.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/520065800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.