**** This position is with the Medical Service and is located at the Jamaica Plain Campus****Learn more about this agency
The Genetic Counselor contributes to the translation of the important genomic and epidemiologic findings and other genetics research to Veterans with hereditary conditions predisposing to disease in a variety of ways, or to the rational choice of care based upon their molecular or genetic characteristics.
Exceptional expertise and experience are required in the varied practice areas of clinical genetic counseling practice, education and implementation. The expertise involves clinical experience in adult genetic diseases and the issues related to communication with patients and families, scientific expertise to evaluate and design new clinical initiatives, and programmatic and management expertise to oversee the implementation of these programs.
The incumbent will ensure complete integration of counseling services with clinical activities and molecular testing. Responsible for counseling services provided within the VA system nationwide. Incumbent participates in the development, maintenance, propagation of educational materials for genetic conditions.
The incumbent genetic counselor labors as a member of VHA Genomics managing a broad-range of genetic counseling services for Veterans and their families.
The incumbent will:
- Identify and interpret the risks of an inherited disorder:
- Investigate problems
- Suggest testing
- Ensure test results are appropriately documented and communicated to patients and providers
- Interpret information about disorders and intervention options where available
- Explain inheritance patterns and risks of recurrence
- Review available optionsIncumbent helps coordinate VA's genetic counseling service to allow integration with the research programs established and promotes the investigation of topic of critical interest and importance to the genetic counseling field.
- The incumbent collaborates with researchers and program officials throughout VA on a wide range of matters related to genetic counseling and the development and delivery of genetic counseling services as well as participates in the development of papers, reports and other informational materials detailing current and planned genetic counseling activities.
Work Schedule: Mon - Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
- This position is an AFGE Bargaining Unit position
- This position is covered by locality-based comparability pay
- Travel and relocation expenses are not authorized
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- Current Federal employees must submit copies of their most recent SF-50 (Notice of Personnel Action)
- Selectee will be required to fil out additional forms on-line
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/519943300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.