The openings are located within the Software Engineering, Analysis and Modeling Division at the Institute for Telecommunication Sciences (ITS), located at the U.S. Department of Commerce Laboratories in Boulder, Colorado. The incumbent will assist senior engineers in implementing telecommunication and propagation modeling algorithms; and developing, validating, verifying, testing, and documenting software implementations.Learn more about this agency
- As part of a team, implement complex mathematical algorithms and develop software implementations using a variety of software applications and frameworks.
- Assist in the design, development and adaption of mathematical and statistical methods and computer science techniques in analysis of data management problems.
- Assist in creating test plans and procedures; and project planning and tracking documentation.
- Verify, validate, debug, troubleshoot and test software implementations.
- Use verbal and written communication to provide regular status updates on work products to supervisor.
25% or less - Some travel may be required.
03 - Promotions to the next band level are not automatic or guaranteed.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen.
- You must be suitable for Federal employment.
- You must be registered for Selective Service, if applicable (www.sss.gov).
- Relocation expenses will not be paid.
- You will be required to sign a Pathways Participant Agreement.
Selected participants are on an excepted service appointment under the Recent Graduates Program and required to serve a one year trial period, and will be evaluated for conversion to a term or permanent appointment in the competitive service at the end of the year.
Applicants can and should apply to this vacancy if they will graduate within 9 months with a degree from a qualifying educational institution and within 9 months, you will meet the basic education, qualifications and specialized experience requirements as described in this vacancy announcement.
Applicants must meet ALL application requirements, to include a complete online resume, by 11:59 p.m. EASTERN TIME ZONE (ETZ) on the closing date of this announcement. Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement. Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcements are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards. This handbook is available on the Office of Personnel Management's website located at www.opm.gov/qualifications.
This is a drug testing designated position. As a condition of employment, all applicants tentatively selected for this position will be required to submit to a urinalysis screening for illegal drug use. The selectee must be able to successfully pass annual and periodic drug screenings.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcement are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards. This handbook is available on the Office of Personnel Management website located at www.opm.gov/qualifications.
Computer Science series, 1550 Individual Occupational Requirements (IOR) that must be met for minimum qualification for the position.
Bachelor's degree in computer science or bachelor's degree with 30 semester hours in a combination of mathematics, statistics, and computer science. At least 15 of the 30 semester hours must have included any combination of statistics and mathematics that included differential and integral calculus. All academic degrees and course work must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions.
In addition to meeting the appropriate IOR requirements as stated above, applicants must also meet the specialized experience for the grade level applying to.
ZP-II: To qualify for the ZP-II, applicants MUST possess at least one year or 52 weeks of specialized experience comparable in difficulty and responsibility to the next lower grade level (GS-5 or equivalent pay band, ZP-I). Specialized experience is defined as experience in programming; designing and developing software applications; migrating information between applications and transferring/validating software; writing; and developing and making presentations OR you can substitute 1 year of graduate-level education or superior academic achievement (equivalent to the GS-7) OR 2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree (equivalent to the GS-9) OR a combination of specialized experience and education.
ZP-III: To qualify for the ZP-III, applicants MUST possess at least one year or 52 weeks of specialized experience comparable in difficulty and responsibility to the next lower grade level (GS-7 or equivalent pay band, ZP-II). Specialized experience is defined as experience in programming; designing and developing software applications; migrating information between applications and transferring/validating software; writing; and developing and making presentations OR you can substitute 1 year of graduate-level education or superior academic achievement (equivalent to the GS-7) OR 2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree (equivalent to the GS-9) OR a combination of specialized experience and education.
This position has a positive educational requirement.
In order to be eligible for an appointment under the Pathways Recent Graduate Program you must meet the following education requirements:
- You must be a recent graduate who has completed, within the previous two years, a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution such as an accredited technical or vocational school; a 2- or 4-year college or university; a graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or a post-secondary home school curriculum. Note: Certificate program is defined as post-secondary education in a qualifying educational institution equal to at least one academic year of full-time study that’s part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum.
- Veterans unable to apply within two years of receiving their degree due to military service obligation shall have a 2-year period of eligibility to apply that begins from the date of release or discharge from active duty; however, the veteran’s eligibility period cannot extend beyond 6 years from the date of graduation.
- Applicants should have sufficient knowledge to understand the fundamental concepts and techniques of computer science. Courses designed to provide an introduction to computer science techniques and methodologies, to problems of system design, and to other specialized fields are acceptable. Courses or experience in teaching elementary, business, or shop mathematics are not acceptable.
*Please note - for this announcement and position, the ITS office will accept applications from those that will receive a qualifying degree within nine (9) months of application.*
The Pathways Recent Graduates may be non-competitively converted to a term, career-conditional, or career appointment following successful completion of at least one year of continuous service, demonstrated successful job performance, and after meeting all other qualification requirements in accordance with 5 CFR 362.305. To be eligible for conversion to a permanent or term position, Recent Graduates must:
- Successfully complete at least 1-year of continuous service in addition to all requirements of the Program.
- Demonstrate successful job performance.
- Meet the Office of Personnel Management's qualifications for the position to which the Recent Graduate will be converted.
- Serve a trial period for the duration of the program.
- Complete 40 hours of formal training per year.
This Job Opportunity Announcement may be used to fill other Computer Science (Recent Graduate), ZP-1550-2/3 positions within NTIA in the same geographical location with the same qualifications and experience.
CTAP and ICTAP candidates will be eligible if it is recommended that they have exceeded the minimum qualifications for the position by attaining at least a rating of 85. Information about CTAP eligibility is on the Office of Personnel Management's Career Transition Resources website at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/.
The following links provide information on how you may be eligible for various special hiring authorities:
*Veterans Recruitment Act (VRA)
*Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA)
*30% or more disabled veterans
*Persons with disabilities
*Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)
*Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above. For this announcement, all applicants will be reviewed to determine if they meet the basic qualifications for this position, specifically the educational and specialized requirements. Your resume and any supporting documentation will also be used to determine your eligibility based on your resumes to the scored occupational questionnaire. The questionnaire will evaluate you on the following competencies; please do not provide a separate written response:
Ability to employ software development processes and procedures to plan, develop, document and deliver custom software products.
Ability to design and develop complex software applications.
- Skill in testing, troubleshooting, and debugging software implementations.
Skill in defining and evaluating software system design requirements.
Ability to communicate verbally.
Ability to communicate technical information in writing.
For more information on category rating, please go to: hr.commerce.gov/s/groups/public/@doc/@cfoasa/@ohrm/documents/content/prod01_009474.pdf.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your resume/application does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s).
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
A complete application consists of the following:
- Resume showing relevant experience; cover letter optional. Your resume must indicate your citizenship and if you are registered for Selective Service if you are a male born after 12/31/59. Your resume should also list your educational and work experience including the dates (mm/dd/yy) of each employment along with the number of hours worked per week. Your resume may be used to validate your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire.
- Veterans' Preference documentation. Please indicate on your resume the type of veterans' preference you are claiming and provide the appropriate supporting documentation (DD-214 stating disposition of discharge or character of service, VA letter, SF-15, etc.) to validate your claim. For more information regarding eligibility requirements, please go to: www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
- Education. This position requires proof of higher education, and you must submit an unofficial transcript or a list of courses that includes the following information: name of accredited institution, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. Please refer to www.opm.gov/qualifications/policy/ApplicationOfStds-04.asp for more information.
You are not required to submit official documents at this time; copies are sufficient. Failure to provide transcripts when requested will result in lost consideration.
Special Instructions for Foreign Education: Qualifying education from colleges and universities in foreign countries must be evaluated in terms of equivalency to that acquired in U.S. colleges and universities. Applicants educated in whole or in part in foreign countries must submit sufficient evidence, including transcripts, to an accredited private organization for an equivalency evaluation of course work and degree. A listing of these accredited organizations can be found on the Department of Education's website - www.ed.gov/international/usnei/us/workrecog.doc. You must provide a copy of the letter containing the results of the equivalency evaluation with a course by course listing along with your application. Failure to provide such documentation when requested will result in lost consideration.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
Your complete application, including required documents, must be received by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement.
To apply on-line, you must complete and submit an application by accessing the USAJOBS website at http://www.USAJOBS.gov/. To begin, click the “Apply” button and follow the prompts to register into your USAJOBS account, answer the questions, and submit all required documents. (After registering in our USAJOBS account, and clicking “Submit” you will automatically transition to the Department of Commerce’s specific site where you will complete your applications. You must click “Submit” at the end of the application process to send your application for consideration.
To return to your saved application, log in to your USAJOBS account at https://USAJOBS.gov/ and click on "Applications." Click on the position title, and then select “Update Applications.”
If you have problems completing your on-line application, including problems submitting your supporting documents, please contact the Help Desk immediately by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 866-656-6831. The help desk is available Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST.For instructions on submitting your application in another format please contact: Holly Pryor at Dochr_inquiries@yrci.com
Agency contact information
Attn: Human Resources
Boulder, Colorado 80305
You will be notified of your application status through USAJOBS at four points during the hiring process, as applicable. You can check the status of your application by accessing the USAJOBS website at http://usajobs.gov/ and clicking on “Applications". The status will be visible next to the corresponding positions. The four points of notification are:
- Application Received or Application Incomplete;
- Minimum Qualification Requirement Met or Minimum Qualification Requirement Not Met;
- Referred or Not Referred; and
- Selected or Not Selected
You will be required to submit official documentation prior to appointment. The agency will then verify the information provided on your application (i.e., degree, veterans' preference, disability, etc.).
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/519740400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.