This is an opportunity under the Internship Program component of the Pathways Programs. The Internship Program provides students enrolled in high schools, colleges, trade schools and other qualifying educational institutions with paid opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers while completing their education. Veteran's Preference will be applied in filling positions under the Pathways Programs.Learn more about this agency
This position is in the National Science Foundation, Directorate for Biological Sciences (BIO), Office of the Assistant Director (OAD). The incumbent serves as a personal assistant in a confidential capacity working closely with the Assistant Director and the Deputy Assistant Director.
The incumbent provides administrative support to the Assistant Director (AD), the Deputy Assistant Director (DAD), and the BIO senior executive team, consisting of Division Directors, Deputy Division Directors and the Directorate Operations Officer. The incumbent uses discretion and tact while communicating frequently with NSF and interagency contacts, typically at the highest levels of senior management. Specific duties include the following:
Administrative and Logistical Support
- Supports and assists the AD and DAD with routine administrative matters;
- Plans and coordinates complex business activities;
- Schedules meetings and prepares and distributes meeting materials;
- Plans, monitors, and coordinates the calendar for the AD and DAD;
- Reviews, prepares, and provides administrative guidance to the Office staff;
OAD Administrative Support
- Prepares travel arrangements for the AD, DAD and senior staff.
- Establishes and maintains a variety of operational files and records;
- Assists with the procurement of office supplies and equipment;
- Greets and receives guests to the Office;
- Answers, screens and refers telephone callers;
- Reviews, screens, forwards or personally handles incoming mail;
- Serves as timekeeper for BIO staff;
- Manages the day-to-day administrative operations of the Directorate.
Research and Analytical Support
- Conducts research and analyzes information on NSF’s Strategic Plan and BIO planning material as they pertain to BIO’s business activities, and develops summaries and recommendations for changes in business practices.
- Reviews administrative processes, practices and procedures for consistency with BIO and NSF guidelines, and recommends or takes action on changes that may be required;
- Participates with BIO staff in conducting periodic studies and reviews to evaluate BIO’s internal policies and operating procedures for efficiency and consistency with administrative polices;
- Develops recommendations to ensure compliance with BIO and NSF guidance;
- Develops, implements and reviews revised policies and operational procedures to evaluate the effectiveness in supporting substantive BIO administrative objectives and support functions.
- Administrative Support
- Oral Communication
- Written Communication
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/519640800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.