This position is located in the Student Development Program as part of Transmission Services of the Bonneville Power Administration (BPA). The purpose of the position is to serve as an electronics engineer performing assignments of limited scope and difficulty which are screened to eliminate difficult or unusual problems.Learn more about this agency
As an Electronics Engineer, you will:
Independently perform a wide range of tasks within the subject-matter or functional area assigned. Participate in the BPA engineering rotation program, and completes assignments in at least two different functional areas. Performs block of work which may be either complete in themselves or segments of much broader projects. Assignments are composed of several aspects, each requiring independent analysis and solution, which must be integrated for the final solution. Complete projects, when assigned, frequently pertain to conventional or well-established types of equipment or systems on which development has been completed and which are not undergoing constant modification. Make engineering determinations and applies judgment in the selection, interpretation, and application of relevant rules, standard procedures, or precedents. Find and apply the appropriate precedents to the assignments, and often makes minor adaptations to tailor guidelines to particular assignments. Use computer technology in the performance of assigned engineering work. The following assignments are illustrative:
- Assist in the design or review designs of protection, control, data acquisition, and/or telecommunications facilities of limited scope and complexity such as for small ordinary office buildings, or designated portions of larger, more complex projects.
- Perform a wide range of tasks involving modification, redesign, test, and troubleshooting of electronic protection, control, data acquisition, and/or communication equipment, using standard engineering practices and standardized, well-established criteria.
- Perform engineering evaluation of manufacturers' data packages containing specifications, schematics, test data, construction details, etc. Data packages pertain to devices which conform to well known technology.
- Develop instrumentation, test, and measurement equipment for BPA’s protection, control, data acquisition, and/or telecommunication facilities, using standard engineering practices and standardized, well-established criteria.
- Perform engineering tasks necessary for the installation of established or modified equipment.
- Carry out maintenance engineering assignments for in-service protection, control, data acquisition, and/or telecommunications equipment.
- Investigate reports of post-installation equipment failures or unsatisfactory performance when the problems have been generally localized and there are usually precedents for solving them.
- Participate in supporting mission critical and mission essential transmission grid operations, 24x7, real-time control systems, data acquisition systems and Dispatcher decision-making support systems located at the system control centers.
- Provide technical information, guidance, and support on electronic control and communications equipment to construction, operations, and maintenance personnel.
Occasional travel - Travel and rotational assignments are required to various BPA sites and field locations.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/519171600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.