This position is located in the Student Development Program as part of Transmission Services of the Bonneville Power Administration (BPA). The purpose of the position is to serve as an Electrical Engineer performing assignments of limited scope and difficulty which are screened to eliminate difficult or unusual problems.Learn more about this agency
As an Electrical Engineer, you will:
Independently perform a wide range of tasks within the subject-matter or functional area assigned. Perform blocks of work which may be complete in themselves or segments of much broader projects. Assignments are composed of several aspects, each requiring independent analysis and solution, which must be integrated for the final solution. Complete projects, when assigned, frequently pertain to conventional or well-established types of equipment or systems on which development has been completed and which are not undergoing constant modification. Make engineering determinations and applies judgment in the selection, interpretation, and application of relevant rules, standard procedures, or precedents. Find and apply the appropriate precedents to the assignments, and often makes minor adaptations to tailor guidelines to particular assignments. Use computer technology in the performance of assigned engineering work. Participate in the BPA engineering rotation program, and completes assignments in at least two different functional areas. The following assignments are illustrative:
- Assist in engineering studies, analyses, and calculations for the solution of problems associated with the planning, design, or operation of a high-voltage power generation and transmission system.
- Participate with higher-graded engineers in solving problems involved in securing optimum operation of a generation or transmission system.
- Assist with design or review designs of electric power distribution and utilization systems, electrical generating equipment, or other electrical equipment or systems of limited scope and complexity or designated portions of larger, more complex projects.
- Make field studies and surveys of existing electrical equipment, systems, and/or facilities to determine their nature and condition. Search for and studies available information and precedent designs to determine the design approach. Performs required calculations.
- Perform a wide range of tasks involving modification, redesign, test, and troubleshooting of electrical equipment, using standard engineering practices and standardized, well-established criteria.
- Perform engineering evaluation of data packages containing specifications, schematics, test data, construction details, etc.
- Perform engineering tasks necessary for the installation of established or modified equipment.
- Conduct site surveys to determine what must be done to prepare the specified environment for the new equipment, such as removal of older types of equipment.
- Participate in the review of project plans and specifications prior to contract advertisement.
- Observe pre-bid and bid opening conferences.
- Assist in observing and investigating construction at all stages to identify problems.
- Investigate reports of post installation equipment failures or unsatisfactory performance when the problems have been generally localized and there are usually precedents for solving them.
- Participate in providing products, studies, and specialized technical support and analyses directed toward the real time dispatch of the transmission system, outage coordinate and operations information necessary for other Bonneville functions to carry out their duties.
- Participate in supporting mission critical and mission essential transmission grid operations, 24x7, real-time control systems, data acquisition systems and Dispatcher decision-making support systems located at the system control centers.
Occasional travel - Travel and rotational assignments are required to various BPA sites and field locations.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/519169200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.