Do you have experience in supporting genomic/genetics research programs through primarily computational/bioinformatics work? We are looking for someone with experience in delineating fundamental cellular pathways involved in retinal development and aging. As a Biologist (Bioinformatics), you will elucidate the mechanisms of retinal degenerative disease and develop novel paradigms for repair and/or treatment so please make sure to thoroughly describe your experience in your resume.Learn more about this agency
- Develop and implement high-throughput genomic experimentation strategies;
- Create and implement advanced algorithms using Python, Perl, R, or other programming language to analyze and interpret high-throughput sequencing data;
- Make recommendations on enhancements of the analytical, processing and statistical software;
- Perform and improve computational analysis related to gene expression;
- Present data at national and international meetings; and
- Manage and organize genomic data within local storage servers.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship requirement or proof of being a U.S. National must be met by closing date.
- Position is subject to a background investigation.
- Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- Position requires Education.
QualificationsBASIC REQUIREMENT: EDUCATION
In order to qualify for a Biologist (Bioinformatics), GS-0401 position, you must meet the following Education Requirement:
A. have completed the requirements for a bachelor's (or graduate) degree in a biological science, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to this position, from an accredited college or university.
B. have a combination of experience and education which includes courses comparable to a major in a biological science, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry or related disciplines appropriate to this position, AND have appropriate experience or additional education which demonstrates similarly appropriate skills or abilities needed to perform the duties of this position.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENT: SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE
GS-11: In addition to the Basic Requirement: Education, in order to qualify at the GS-11, you must:
A. have 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree that is directly related to the duties of this position;
B. have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-9 grade level in the Federal service that demonstrates your ability to: apply bioinformatics algorithms using data analysis programming languages (e.g., MATLAB, Python, Perl, R) to analyze and interpret high-throughput sequencing data; assist in implementing scientific experiments and projects relating to genome sequencing; perform computational analysis related to gene expression and regulation; and assist in the preparation of scientific and technical reports relating to genomics/genetics research;
C. have a combination of post baccalaureate education and experience that meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
GS-12: In addition to meeting the education requirement, in order to qualify at the GS-12 level, you must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: apply and assist in designing bioinformatics algorithms using data analysis programming languages (e.g., MATLAB, Python, Perl, R) to analyze and interpret high-throughput sequencing data; implement scientific experiments and projects relating to genome sequencing; perform and improve computational analysis related to gene expression and regulation; and prepare scientific and technical reports relating to genomics/genetics research.
GS-13: In addition to meeting the education requirement, in order to qualify at the GS-13 level, you must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: design and apply advanced bioinformatics algorithms using data analysis programming languages (e.g., MATLAB, Python, Perl, R) to analyze and interpret high-throughput sequencing data; develop and implement high-throughput genomic experimentation strategies related to genome sequencing; train laboratory colleagues in the basics of bioinformatic analysis; and publish results in scientific journals or other related professional publications or presenting information at scientific meetings.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Preview assessment questionnaire before you apply:https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10345330
This position has an education requirement. You are strongly encouraged to submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades). Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required from all selectees prior to receiving an official offer. Click here for information on Foreign Education.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- This position is designated as a "non-emergency/teleworker" position and the selected candidate will be considered a "non-emergency/teleworker" employee. In the event of a closure, you must be available to telework or request leave.
- A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
- PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps should also apply online to this announcement in order to receive consideration.
- We may make additional selections for similar positions within the commuting area(s) of the locations listed through this vacancy announcement.
- The National Institutes of Health participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers.
- The NIH maintains a tobacco free work environment and campus.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The position(s) advertised in this announcement are covered by a direct hire authority. Traditional rating and ranking of applicants, including category rating, does not apply to this vacancy. You will be initially evaluated against the basic qualifications only. Qualified applicants will be referred for consideration in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management direct hire guidelines. Veterans' Preference does not apply to positions covered by a direct hire authority.
To determine your qualifications and referral status, a review of your resume and supporting documentation may be made and compared against your responses to the vacancy questionnaire. We base your rating on both your responses to the questionnaire and information stated in your application. Please make sure that your self-ratings are supported by information in your application. We may verify your qualifications and self-ratings at any time during the application and selection process through quality review, interview questions, work samples, demonstrations, reference checks, and any other means. Inflated qualifications may result in an ineligible rating. Any misrepresentation or material omission of facts on the assessment questionnaire or in any other materials you submit in support of your candidacy (including but not limited to the application), or in any oral statements you may make during the selection process shall be sufficient cause to end further consideration of your candidacy. Persons listed as having knowledge of your past accomplishments or experience in your application may be contacted for verification purposes at any time. Verification may, but need not, begin prior to receiving an offer.
To be considered well qualified for the purposes of the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), you must demonstrate that you substantively exceed the basic qualifications and meet all eligibility, physical, medical, suitability, and all other requirements.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Required for All Applicants
Your resume must thoroughly describe how your skills and experiences align to the criteria defined in the "Qualifications" section of this announcement and it must support your responses to the assessment questionnaire. We cannot assume you have performed the necessary experience required for this position regardless of your employment history or academic career.
To ensure all of the essential information is in your resume, we encourage you to use theUSAJOBS online Resume Builder. If you choose to use your own resume, you must ensure it contains all of the required information and you organize it so we can associate the following information for each experience/position:
- Job title
- Name of employer
- Beginning and ending dates of employment (month/day/year format)
- Hours worked per week. We will assume full-time unless otherwise stated. We will prorate part-time employment in crediting experience.
- Detailed description of job duties, accomplishments, related skills, and responsibilities to include any supervisory/managerial responsibilities and number of staff supervised (if applicable)
- Series and grade or equivalent (if a federal position)
Do not include a photograph or video of yourself, or any sensitive information (age, date of birth, marital status, protected health information, religious affiliation, social security number, etc.) on your resume or cover letter. We will not access web pages linked on your resume or cover letter to determine your qualifications.
For resume writing guidance, please visit the following resources: NIH Jobs website, USAJOBS Resource Center, and the USAJOBS Resume Writing Video Tutorial.
You must submit a completed assessment questionnaire.
All of the above information is necessary to determine your qualifications for the position. Please help us make an informed decision regarding your eligibility by providing complete and thorough information on your experience and qualifications. Not providing all of required information may result in a determination that you do not meet minimum requirements for the position (e.g., an ineligible rating) or a lower rating.
Required Documentation for Career Transition Claims
Visit our websites to claim selection priority through the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP):
- CTAP: https://jobs.nih.gov/announcement-links/CTAP.htm
- ICTAP: https://jobs.nih.gov/announcement-links/ictap.htm
If you do not provide the required information, we will assume you are not eligible or you do not wish to be considered for any preference or eligibility.
Please do not submit any other supplementary documentation that is not requested of you. To protect your personal information, we will only send your resume and cover letter to the selecting official or hiring manager.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please read and follow all instructions in this announcement, complete the online application, and submit the documentation specified in the "Required Documents" section. Your complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM Eastern Time (ET) on 01/14/2019 to receive consideration.
1. To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply.
2. Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package (see the "Required Documents" section for any additional forms and/or supplemental materials required). You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. You must submit your documents through the online application. Unfortunately, we cannot accept emailed or mailed documents. NOTE: that your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
3. Read all Eligibility questions and respond accordingly to any Eligibility you wish to claim. NOTE: You will only be considered for those Eligibility questions (Status Applicant, Reinstatement, Schedule A, etc.) you respond in the affirmative to, including veterans' preference, regardless of what documentation you submit. We use these questions to assist in determining your eligibility for appointment, preference, and consideration. We cannot assume you intended to respond differently to a question based on other information in your application package. We cannot accept responsibility for granting you eligibility for something you did not claim other than what you provided us in the questionnaire.
4. Complete the assessment questionnaire. Applicants are asked all questions regardless of their consideration preferences. NOTE: We will only consider you for the grades, series, and specialties that you self-identify as being qualified for. We cannot assume you intended to respond differently to a qualification question based on other information in your application package. Preview assessment questionnaire before you apply: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10345330
5. Verify all required documentation is included in your application package, review your responses to the assessment questionnaire for accuracy, and then submit your application.
In addition to the required documents, we encourage you to submit the following although they are not required at the time of application (these documents may be requested later in the process).
- Cover letter
- Copy of transcripts (if applicable). Official transcripts will be required if selected.
- Copy of current, valid, unrestricted professional license/registration (if applicable).
We cannot assume responsibility or grant extensions for personal issues (e.g., power outage, loss of internet, not understanding a question) when applying to our announcements. For technical difficulties, contact HR Systems Support between 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM ET Monday through Friday at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need any other accommodation or assistance with applying please contact Krystal Johnson at email@example.com.
NIH's EEO and Diversity and Inclusion Policy Statement
Visit the NIH's Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion site for information on NIH's EEO program, Reasonable accommodation procedures, laws, policy statements, and the operation of the EEO complaint process.
Agency contact information
AddressNational Institutes of Health
2115 East Jefferson Street
Rockville, MD 20851
Once you submit your application package, you will receive an acknowledgement email. Your application will be assessed to determine your qualifications and eligibility for the position. After the assessment is complete, you will be notified of the status via email. In addition, you can track the progress of your application package through your USAJOBS account.
The selecting official, hiring manager, or someone acting on their behalf will review the applications of the referred candidates and determine who to interview. We may contact you for an interview or to provide additional information after a few days or up to several months from the closing date of the announcement. We may contact you through email or phone so please ensure you have provided us with your accurate and current contact information. To remain in consideration for this vacancy announcement, you must respond in a timely manner to our correspondence and requests for documentation or information throughout the selection and hiring process.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/519094000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.