The National Science Foundation (NSF) is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of Supervisory Program Director for the Statistics and Methods program (SMP) within the National Center for Science and Engineering Statistics (NCSES), Directorate for Social, Economic and Behavioral Sciences (SBE), Alexandria, VA.
More info about SBE can be found here.
More information about the NCSES can be found here.Learn more about this agency
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Program Director plans, administers, and evaluates the overall program through staff assignments and contractual arrangements with the primary objective of providing policy makers with high quality, timely, accurate and relevant data to fulfill the mission of NCSES related to the S&E enterprise.
Statistics and Methods Program
The Program Director is responsible for statistical and methodological consultation for NCSES on a wide variety of projects and surveys. The Program Director carries out the specific tasks and responsibilities of the program through delegation to subordinates. The Program Director is responsible for providing guidance and the overall product quality. The Program Director is responsible for providing consultation on all statistical and methodological aspects of the surveys, analytical projects, database systems, reports, and presentations designed and conducted by NCSES staff. The duties of this position are as follows:
- Directs SMP staff’s work on statistical, methodological and research activities in support of data collection, processing and analysis of NCSES surveys. Individual cycles of each of the NCSES surveys typically extend over a period of 2-4 years, overlapping with previous and subsequent cycles of the same survey as well as cycles of other surveys in NCSES. The incumbent is responsible for overall management of statistical and methodological approaches and applications, questionnaire design, quality and methodological improvement efforts, and quality of data products and publications. The incumbent is also responsible for ensuring that materials prepared in response to special requests for data from users in government, industry, universities, and the press receive appropriate review and answered accurately. Attention will be given to meeting NCSES information needs.
- Through interactions with NCSES staff, the incumbent is responsible for assuring that data concepts, definitions, taxonomies, etc., are consistent across NCSES surveys and related analyses.
- Directs SMP staff in an ongoing program of evaluating and interpreting the information collected by NCSES regarding data quality. Of special concern are issues of accuracy, timeliness, and reliability of the information produced. This task includes the appraisal and review, in consultation with the NCSES Chief Statistician, of the assumptions, sampling frames and designs, statistical methods and models by which NCSES data are developed.
- Develops and maintains time schedules and project management systems and information for statistical and methodological aspects of surveys and analytical and research projects.
- Responsible for optimizing the use of SMP staff and financial resources. The Program Director is responsible for assuring that staff develop and maintain appropriate statistical and methodological skills to provide expert consultation to NCSES. The Program Director is expected to consider these needs in planning and allocating Statistics and Methods Program resources.
- Responsible for monitoring contracts and grants as assigned by the Deputy Division Director and Division Director.
- Serves as a member of the NCSES senior staff with Division-wide responsibilities related to budget, publications systems, special studies and team activities.
- Plays an active role in fostering Division-wide task groups and teams cutting across specific programs.
- Plays an active role in fostering cooperative cross-program projects and often leads such projects, teams or programs.
Coordination and Representation
- The Program Director initiates contacts and works with personnel in the science and engineering community.
- The Program Director may help coordinate projects with representatives of other agencies and organizations related to statistical and methodological theories.
- As necessary the Program Director represents the Deputy and Division Director and the Foundation at meetings and conferences.
General Administrative, Supervision, and Evaluation
- The Program Director plans, assigns, supervises and reviews the work of seven to ten subordinate professional and technical positions in grades GS-13 to 15/AD 3-4.
- Participates in review and improvement of work methods, organizational features and the structuring of positions to eliminate unnecessary ones.
- Bears responsibility for accuracy of SMP staff’s work in the processing and presentation of data on science and engineering education and workforce and the analytical statements related to such data.
- As supervisor, the incumbent must understand and be sensitive to and support the objectives of the Equal Employment Opportunity Program and the needs and aspirations of each individual employee.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/518446800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.