The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has an immediate need to employ residents of the Tallahassee, FL area as temporary local hires to assist with disaster response and recovery efforts. Local hire employees are local residents who aid in the recovery of the community and help their fellow citizens in the recovery process. Apply for this exciting opportunity!Learn more about this agency
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
Local Hire employees:
- Help FEMA respond to, recover from and mitigate all hazards by performing a variety of emergency management functions which are not limited to disaster survivor assistance, conducting and verifying damage assessments, and providing administrative, financial and logistical support.
- A local hire’s term of employment is 120 days. Local Hire appointments may be extended, in 120 day increments, for a maximum 365 day appointment, based on the needs of the disaster.
- Work within 23 different Cadres which are groups of personnel organized by operational function and FEMA Qualification System (FQS) position.
- Each Local Hire is hired to a position within a Cadre based on his or her skills and experience.
FEMA is seeking candidates with experience in floodplain management.
In this position, you will provide technical assistance to facilitate floodplain management in support of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and HM strategy objectives and requirements. Typical assignments include:
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable floodplain management regulations, ordinances, executive orders, policies, and guidance to meet the goals of the HM strategy and the FEMA mission.
- Gathering, reviewing, and organizing disaster-related information and field data.
- Identifying goals, objectives, actions, and tasks to accomplish state and local Hazard Mitigation (HM) priorities.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with internal and external partners, local and state officials, city/county/parish councils, building officials, and floodplain managers.
- Completing floodplain determinations for proposed temporary housing sites and Public Assistance project sites.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/518181500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.