This position is located in the Directorate for Medicine, Department of Medicine, Pulmonary Medicine, Respiratory Care Services Clinic.Learn more about this agency
Tour of duty is 12 hour shifts from 0645 - 1915 with alternating weekends.
A Respiratory Therapist License is highly recommended.
Position is being filled using EHA - Critical Need Health Care Occupations.
- Perform pulmonary diagnostic testing such as: spirometry, lung volumes, single breath diffusing capacity, cardio-pulmonary exercise, metabolic measurements, oxygen titration, 6 minute walk, bronchoscopy assistance, etc.
- Assist physicians in both the diagnosis and in guiding therapy of patients with cardiopulmonary disorders.
- Explain test and technique to patient before administering pulmonary test.
- Recommend changes of treatment plans to physician based on patient assessment and ability.
- Evaluate effectiveness of patient instructions and coaching during diagnostic testing procedures to obtain valid test results according to American Thoracic Society standards.
- Use assessment and critical thinking skills to assess respiratory status of patients prior to respiratory procedures.
- Provide routine and complex pulmonary diagnostic testing procedures for inpatient and outpatient military population.
- Select and check proper dosage and methods of administration of medications to patients.
- Identify interactions of drugs to determine therapy effectiveness and any adverse reactions.
- Take appropriate action in response to patient distress or medical emergency.
- Recognize and report critical laboratory results immediately to physician.
- Set up and operate complex diagnostic pulmonary equipment (including blood gas analyzers).
- Calibrate, clean and maintain diagnostic equipment to assure accurate performance.
- Document all procedures into an electronic medical record for physician interpretation.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/517976400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.